+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oops. Now what? Cloudy water, high numbers.

Unhappy Oops. Now what? Cloudy water, high numbers.

We opened a few weeks back to crystal clear water with a small clump of likely vacuumable stuff at the bottom center.
    Dunno why, but I guess I forgot everything I learned here last season.
    I did not test the water. I *ass*umed everything would be 0.
    I added ½ lb of shock: 53.5% Trichloro-s-triazinetrione 46.5% cereal filler [48.6% Available Chlorine]
    Within hours, the water turned medium green and so cloudy you couldn't see the bottom.
    Several [10?] gallons of 8.5% bleach later, the green is completely gone, but the cloudiness remains.
    The filter has, for the most part, run 24-7 with constant cartridge changes. There's no green on the cartridges any longer.
    Today's numbers:
    >34 FC. I stopped when I hit 120 drops as the sample had not turned clear. Didn't know if I should continue.
    7.3 pH
    >780 TA Again, I stopped @ 78 drops. The sample turned from the green to yellow, but never turned red.
    78 CYA
    What next?
    5.5k gal 18'x48" Intex Easy Set AGP. PF=18

Default Re: Oops. Now what? Cloudy water, high numbers.

No suggestions, hints, incantations?

Sorry about that. Would you please update with your current numbers (including CC)?

Another question, have you ever tested your fill water?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

We had to get the water tested at our local pool store as we're about out of our Taylor reagent.
    Their numbers:
    >16.69 FC
    0 CC
    6.9 pH
    13 Hardness
    32 Alkalinity
    42 CA
    .2 Copper
    .1 Iron

We've never tested our fill water. We use our neighbor's city supply as we didn't want to use our well water.

The water is still cloudy white.
    We change the stock filters about every 8 - 10 hours.
    The pump has been running pretty much 24/7 for close about 7-10 days.

Your last readings and the pool store's readings are too different. I hope you didn't buy anything from them except reagents!

I would wait on your chemistry until you get new reagents except for keeping FC in the pool.

If you haven't ordered reagents yet, I use Amato Industries on Ben's Amazon link. Don't be afraid of shipping costs with them. It looks like each item you add to the cart has high shipping, but when you check-out, it all gets discounted. They fill orders quickly.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Can you provide the Amato Industries on Ben's Amazon link?
    I can't seem to locate it.

Apparently Amato Industries has moved or changed.
    Here is a link you can use. It goes to the cheapest priced R0871. I'm not sure what you need, but you can start from there:
    http://astore.amazon.com/poolbooks/detail/B0002IXJ8A

If that's not the reagent you need, or you need others also, click testing on the left sidebar. The Pool Forum gets 4-7% of sales and the link always searches the best total price with shipping.

Amato is back up! Here is a link to their Taylor Page:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...qid=1434038407
    Remember that the shipping gets discounted for multiple items when you check-out.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

As described on the Taylor page of interferences for the K-2006 kit in this link, note that at high FC levels the TA test can go from blue to yellow instead of green to red. So you should have stopped your count when you saw the color change to yellow. Also make sure there isn't static electricity by wiping the dropper tip with a moist cloth. The drops should be well formed and not squirt out.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread