+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oops. Now what? Cloudy water, high numbers.

Default Re: Oops. Now what? Cloudy water, high numbers.

Thanks ChemGeek. I didn't know about the color change with a high FC.
    I never thought about static, but always ensure the drops are formed.
    Appreciate all the input.

Our numbers as of Monday night:
    4.0 FC
    0.4 CC
    7.3 pH
    40 TA
    63 CYA

I added 2 cups of Borax after these measurements.
    I'll retest tonight.

The water is still cloudy and looks exactly the same after running the pump 24/7 for ~4½ weeks.
    We've been changing filters once or twice per day.
    5.5k gal 18'x48" Intex Easy Set AGP. PF=18

Are those pool store numbers? Your FC is too low for your CYA. You need to bring your pool up to shock level and keep it there until the water is clear, your CC is 0.5 or less, and you pass an overnight FC loss test. Did you get reagents?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Those are our numbers.
    We haven't received the reagent refills yet, but had enough to complete the test.

The 4.0 FC has just been burning off from the original 34+. I haven't added any chlorine as I thought a CYA of 78 would have kept the FC up. Apparently not.

The only thing I've added in the last 3-4 weeks is Borax to keep the pH right.

What FC am I shooting for shock? Higher than the original 34?
    How much bleach should we add to get there from 4.0 given the approx. 5k gallons?
    5.5k gal 18'x48" Intex Easy Set AGP. PF=18

Your reported CYA numbers are between 63 and 78 so let's say 70. According to the Best Guess Chart, http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best...ine-chart.html , your shock level is 20, but personally I would aim for 22.

In order to clear your pool, you will need to get your FC up to 20 and keep it there making frequent additions until
    1.) you lose no more than 1.0ppm FC overnight (test after sunset and 1/2 hours after your last addition and then test at sunrise to calculate the overnight loss)
    2.) your CC is 0.5 or less
    3.) your water is clear

You will need your reagents so that you can test regularly to determine how much bleach to add to maintain that FC at shock level. This means at least twice a day during the process. (More often helps.) 1 cup of 8.25% bleach will raise your FC by about 1ppm. Use that as your guide.

A CC number or 0.4 is either another estimation or you are using the 25ml sample for your test. You can use a 10ml sample, 1 scoop of powder, and then count the drops multiplying by 0.5 instead of 0.2.

CYA does not "keep FC up". It helps slow the effects of sunlight burning it off.

For now, 1 gallon of 8.25% bleach will bring you from 4ppm to 20ppm, but remember, you need to maintain at least a 20ppm level until the above criteria are met.
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 06-17-2015 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Add CYA keeping FC in the pool misunderstanding
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread