+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Concrete pool - Black spots (Maybe Algae) ??? Need Help

Default HELP - Concrete Pool Black Algae

Post is edited.

so I did a little more research and found out I do in fact have black algae. I live about 10 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico, and people often stop by and visit on their way home from the beach. I looked at pictures online of black algae, and it looks identical.

So I am not asking what I have anymore but more so how to get rid of my black algae.

I read to do a triple amount of normal shock, and brush the hell out of the pool with a stiff brush. Adding Leslie Black Algae remover will help.

Question - should I use a metal brush, or just stiff bristle brush?

Question - is the Leslie Black algae remover worth it? Any other alternatives?

thanks for the help everyone.
    Last edited by Wraypau; 05-28-2015 at 03:00 PM.
    In Ground, 6,900 Gallon Gunite pool with tile trim, Haywayd EcoStar SP34000VSP Variable Speed, Aquarite 25k SWCG, North Florida

Default Re: HELP - Concrete Pool Black Algae

Here's something that Ben wrote once. "... to firmly determine what the spots are, swim down, and scrap the spot with your fingernail. If the spot IS black algae, you'll end up with a bit under your fingernail. Swim up, and smear the algae on a bit of white cardboard or the unlined side of an index card. Black algae will look almost black, but will smear dark green."

I would recommend running this test first.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Its definitely black algae. Did the fingernail test. How do I get rid of this algae.
    In Ground, 6,900 Gallon Gunite pool with tile trim, Haywayd EcoStar SP34000VSP Variable Speed, Aquarite 25k SWCG, North Florida

A quote from Ben:

(Get) your pH between 7.2 and 7.8, your alkalinity below 140ppm, and know what your stabilizer is, use the "Best Guess" chart... to determine the CORRECT chlorine levels for your pool.

Once you've done all that, adjust chlorine to shock levels AND use your brush. Continue doing so (chlorine AND brushing) for 1 week AFTER all visible algae is gone.

Then, make sure you MAINTAIN adequate chlorine levels for your stabilizer level.

Meanwhile, if you can get some calcium hypochlorite shock, and then BRUSH the spots, followed by sprinkling them with cal hypo, that will help.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Default Re: Concrete pool - Black spots (Maybe Algae) ??? Need Help

Thanks for advice. One more quick question, what is proper chlorine level?

It depends on your tested CYA level. See: http://poolsolutions.com/gd/best-gue...e-chart.html#a
    Read it and focus then on the Best Guess Chart.

I know you have a K- 2006 and have been around the block. So you must know that if your CYA is in the high end of the range, bump the shock level FC accordingly.

If you need help, report your CYA. We will be happy to help with mor specific recommendations!

Best wishes
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 06-21-2015 at 01:21 AM.

I took out my 2800 psi pressure washer, put on the 15 degree tip, and pressure washed the walls. (yes, the pool was still full of water, so you just hold the tip about 1 inch fro wall) and it blew all the black algae off the wall and out of the cracks, then I shocked the hell out of the pool for about a week, and man o man, it made a huge difference.

Excellent to hear!!! Woot!!!!

PoolDoc always warned that black algae is very difficult to eradicate in a plaster pool. Keep an eye out for any recurrence.

+ Reply to Thread