+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I don't think I got the right stuff

Default I don't think I got the right stuff

Hi,

I've got the beginning of an algae problem. I'm working pretty constantly to keep it at bay, but the surface of the pool is generally going a bit green-ish at least once a week. So what I could find was HTH super algae guard. I'm going to use it as recommended on the container, but when I look at the ingredient list, it's got 2 of them at 30% each making up the 60%. I guess I'm posting this because the formulation may have changed - it's a slightly different name than your picture.
    20,000 gallon plaster (concrete) pool
    DE filter
    Nature 2 (unchanged)

Default Re: I don't think I got the right stuff

Hi. Algaecide isn't going to take care of your algae. Chlorine, brushing, vacuuming, and patience will. The Polyquat 60% is used for maintenance only by those people who choose to use it, (I don't), or when closing the pool for the season.

Take your FC up to shock level for your CYA and keep it there until the water is clear, your CC is <0.5, and you lose no more than 1ppm FC overnight. (Ask for more info if that doesn't ring a bell).

What does Nature2 (UNCHANGED) mean? Is there still a cartridge in there?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Yeah, because that's the way it was left when the pool guy vanished. It's in-line, but that's all. I'd remove it, but that's a plumbing job.

And yes, could definitely use more information.
    DE filter
    Nature 2 (unchanged)

Oh Lordy. I have had a crazy day (My boss got fired and work was up for grabs!!!) and just saw your post and that you have had no responses yet. I have been discussing the future with co-workers until we closed the bar... I promise I will get back to you in the morning with a more clear head.........

I have looked at your previous threads and can't find info on how you test your water. That is critical to our response. Let us know.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

I just use a basic test kit with the five liquids. It's what I know to do.
    DE filter
    Nature 2 (unchanged)

Ok. Give us all your CURRENT results then. (Can't believe I am still awake. Fading fast!)

Well, we need those results to be more specific.

Get your pH in line (7.2-7.6) if it needs adjusting. 7.2-7.4 is better for now.

Raise your FC to shock level according to the FC/CYA on the Best Guess Chart: http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best...e-chart.html#a

Keep it at that level by checking the FC and making chlorine additions as often as you are able.

Then when it seems to be holding fairly well, do an overnight test on your pool. After sunset, make your last addition of the evening and retest your FC an hour or so later. Then, in the morning within an hour of sunrise, check the FC again. If you lose more than 1ppm, then you should keep your FC at shock level.

When you pass the overnight test, your CC is 0.5 or less, and your water is clear, then keep the FC high for one more day just to make sure.

Then let the FC fall to your maintenance range, but towards the high side of it so that you don't let the FC get below your minimum.

I managed to get the water blue and clear again, but I'm cleaning the filter way too often. I'll keep referring back to this.
    DE filter
    Nature 2 (unchanged)

Great news! There's probably still some dead algae getting filtered out. Did you pass the overnight test with no more than 1ppm loss of FC and less than .5CC?

I really don't know anything about DE filters. Here is a guide that PoolDoc wrote. Maybe it will help:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...ut-Damaging-It!

How are things now?

+ Reply to Thread