+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chlorine level - too low - but why???

Default Chlorine level - too low - but why???

FAC = 0
    TAC = 0
    CALC. HARDNESS 220
    CYA = 30 (SO I ADDED CHEM TO RAISE IT ABOVE 30)
    TOTAL ALK = 120
    pH = 7.8
    COPPER, IRON = 0
    PHOSPHATES = 0
    Why can't I maintain chlorine?? This never happens to me.
    I use leslie's trichlor hockey pucks in an inline feeder - just like I’ve done for years and years. Pool is covered and heated. Only trace amounts of green algae. Taylor OT test kit reagents only a year old. Will use my powdered shock only as a last resort due to my commitment to make my new liner stay unbleached and supple. My area is northeast.

I/g vinyl; 28k gal.; 1.5 hp de filt

Default Re: Chlorine level - too low - but why???

Pucks will not add chlorine as fast as you need it. I would recommend only using liquid chlorine (bleach, liquid pool shock) for your sanitizer except when going on vacation. Pucks will just raise your CYA even higher. The results of that will be that it will be even harder to maintain chlorine in your pool.

Go get bleach or liquid chlorine (either from WalMart or Menard's/Home Depot, etc). Add about a half gallon a day. Report your results and let's go from there.

Trace amounts of algae are too much. I recommend getting a better test kit (Taylor K-2006C). Worth every penny and I promise it will pay for itself over the season.

I have a relatively new vinyl liner and understand your concern. If you follow the forum's advise, your water will be sparkly clear and your liner will be just fine!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Added half a gallon of Clorox GERMICIDAL bleach. Home Depot carried that, plus 'outdoor' variety for decks. So far, so good. thanks!

Great! How much did you pay for that? It can be expensive!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

$4.39. Isn't this this part of the cheap, but effective BBB method?

Well, it's a great product, but $4.39/gallon is tough. Many people just use plain, unscented 8.25% laundry bleach. I use pool shock which is the same stuff but at 12.5%. I try not to pay more than $3.00/gallon and sometimes I get it for $1.99/gallon at Menard's on sale. If you're handy at math you can figure out what is the better deal for you. If germicidal was cheaper, more people would use it!

wow
    that IS a big price difference

The germicidal bleach is supposed to have extra things in it for E. coli and some other bacterias. You're the first person I know that has used it, though. I have read that it is a great product -just expensive.

The main thing with bleach is to make sure it's plain, unscented, not the splashless kind, and that the percent chlorine is listed in the ingredients. With both bleach and "pool shock", the main thing is to also look at the date code so you know it's fresh. The code will be something like 15169. This means it was bottled on the 169th day of 2015. Chlorine loses strength over time so this is very important. Also, don't buy anything sitting outside in the sun as sun and heat increases the rate of break-down.

That 169 deal being 169th day of 2015 is great info. I have never heard it before. THANK YOU
    13000 gallon fiberglass, variable speed pump, cartridge filter, chlorine sanitized ,k-2006, also daily 5 item check ( ch, ph,ta,)
    I only trust the k-2006 titration is better for me

Dansdad: You're welcome!
    Francis: How is the pool doing?
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 07-28-2015 at 08:07 PM.

+ Reply to Thread