+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LED lights in salt pool dead within 3 years, Replace with ???

Hybrid View

Default LED lights in salt pool dead within 3 years, Replace with ???

CPHVLEDS100 Jandy LED lights
    first one was dead within 3 years, the 2nd one dead on open in year 4. Hardly ever used. Salt water pool LED's
    Worthless with only 1 year warranty. Seems lots of bad reviews with similar issues.

Looking to replace both lights.

Had someone suggest Hayward Colorlogic 4.0 LED 120V but reviews on those lights were just as bad as the Zodiac/Jandy ones.

Can someone suggest something that will last or has a minimum of a 5 year warranty?

This is an expensive cost...
    thanks

Default Re: LED lights in salt pool dead within 3 years, Replace with ???

I've thought about changing out my standard light with an LED, but was concerned about reliability. I appreciate you sharing your experience.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Anyone have any thoughts on what lights we should purchase for our salt water pool to replace the Jandy/Zodiac LED's that both had premature demise?

I did replace with Haywards and they were still working on open, so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by wishIcould View Post
    I did replace with Haywards and they were still working on open, so far so good.
    How long have you had the Hayward LED?
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

We specified Hayward Color Logic LED for both pool and spa during our build in 2007. Very special the first night we turned them on.

But after that first big swim party, they were very rarely used. I doubt if they're on a total of 4 hours during the entire summer and almost never at other times of the year.*

About 3 years after installation, one of the colors on the spa LED light went out -- it's kind of hard to tell unless you cycle through all the combinations because it's just one element of several colors that are blended together to produce "hazy night in violet' or whatever name the company assigned it. I finally noticed it because the spa seemed just slightly less luminous. Anyway, we've done nothing about it. No issues with the pool light.

All that fuss and a thousand dollars extra to have a fancy light show ... and I found myself and most other people just feel more comfortable swimming in a brightly lit pool, and that means, uh... white light.

Also to note, the LEDs being marketed now may-or may not-be as well made as those sold 10 years ago. Manufacturing sources can change over time and I doubt any large company would be forthcoming if at some point they chose to go with Supplier "B" to save $1.00 per unit wholesale cost and they found they were selling more LED replacement kits because of the lower quality.

* In N. Calif. swimming after dark is not as pleasant as it is in other parts of the U.S. or elsewhere. Most evenings the temp drops from 95-100° F. at 5 PM into the 60s--or even lower, by 11pm, with low humidity. Brrrr. Kids don't care, of course. But when a group of adults climb out of an 86° F pool into the night air, that pretty well puts an end to the idea of a late night beer poolside. "Where's the hot chocolate?!"
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

Update it is 9/15/18 and the Hayward are still working. Do note my friend didn't listen to me and got Zodiac/Jandy LED when we got our Haywards on her new pool as they thought they looked better. Guess which friend already had an Zodiac LED fail completely last week and they told her it was out of warranty. Now she needs to decide should she replace 1/3 with a different brand or stick to Zodiac for aesthetics..... I warned her to run from Zodic/Jandy LED....

Thanks for the update.

As little as we use the light, we’re thinking of getting rid of it completely when it comes time to replace the liner (currently 14 years old).

I just think after the newness wears off we just won’t use it.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Thanks for the info. I have had little direct contact with working pool lights, and have never had a customer (commercial) who wanted to spend the $$$$ to fix or replace, so I've never really dug into info about them.

2019 and the Hayward are still working... everything Jandy/Zodiac is just plain garbage. Salt system is constantly throwing good money after bad... now the heater is going... We keep our water balanced 100% all year with taylor testing on our own weekly and additionally occasionally confirming with the local pool store. Jandy/Zodica destroyed itself - seems they make products to break. By the way all 3 lights on my friends pool went out last year, she is replacing with Hayward if any one goes out again. NEVER BUY JANDY/Zodiac is the only learned lesson over the years, even the after market parts are lasting longer than OEM parts from Zodiac. PS you can't write a bad review on Zodiac at your pool store even after going through Zodia. Leslies and another store won't allow them!!! Disgusting.

+ Reply to Thread