+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leak above water line

Default Tear in vinyl liner above water line, was leaking

Hi all--

How do I go about finding a tear/hole in the liner above the water line? I know that the hole is above the water line now because water has stopped pooling at the estimated leak spot on the ground outside of the pool. I also don't see any visible dripping of water on the outer pool wall anymore.

I also know that water is not leaking through any equipment because the pool water was not touching any seals, hoses, etc. in the first place and water was still leaking, and the puddling water was far away from any equipment.

Or do I need to fill up to the estimated spot and do a dye test? I think that would be more difficult because I haven't opened my pool yet and the water is still murky from the winter, and I couldn't see where the dye was seeing out. However, if that is the best way to find my leak, I will fill and test.

Thank you all for your help!
    Last edited by RobynUofA; 05-17-2015 at 01:08 PM.
    15,000 gallon round above ground
    Hayward Power-Flo LX pump
    Pentair Sand Dollar filter, with a little DE added

Default Re: Leak above water line

Hi, you did not say how low the water gets before it stops leaking. That could be important. A hole above the water level should be easy to see visually, very easy to spot and patch. Most of the time the holes are on the bottom. If you are seeing wet spots outside the pool the hole is most likely in the cove area.

As the water gets lower the pressure on the hole decreases and they can easily plug themselves up with a little sand or dirt. As soon as you fill the pool the pressure is back on and dislodges the sand and the leak starts. It happens all the time.

I would do a close examination above the water line. If you don't find anything fill the pool and get it clean. You should then be able to examine the bottom. I was never one to use the dye method, it was always goggles for me. Holes in the cove area are pretty easy to spot.

Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

+ Reply to Thread