+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pool test results, any changes needed other than FC?

Question pool test results, any changes needed other than FC?

Hi,
    My test results from today are as follows FC 1.0, will add bleach, CC 0, ph 7.8, TA 70, CH 180. CYA 40. Is there any changes required or recommended? Pool recently opened, do not know water temp as gauge broken, would guestimate in the 70's, Thanks!
    Frank
    17k gal 16' x 32' IG concrete bottom FG sides 1985 , Hayward Pro S244T sand filter , Hayward Super pump 1 HP 12 - 24 hrs , using 8.25% bleach, K-2006C kit. PF=7

Default Re: pool test results, any changes needed other than FC?

Raise FC immediately! For CYA of 40 you should shoot to maintain 5ppm FC.

Also, you might want to lower pH a tad (shoot for 7.4-7.6) using muriatic acid (31.45% concentration, not the low concentration "safe" stuff).

My only experience is with a vinyl pool, but if I understand correctly, with a concrete pool you'll want to raise CH to at least 250. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of concrete pools can chime in.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Thanks Jim, I started with low Ph so I added a bit of Borax and turned the returns to aerate the pool and raise the Ph. it is coming down on its own and generally settles in around 7.3. I raised the chlorine and continue to monitor it. I keep testing for FC and CC. Not showing any CC but, having to add around 10 cups of 8.25% bleach daily to bring FC up to 5 or 5.5 ppm. Not sure why that is. Any advice for that?
    Thanks!
    17k gal 16' x 32' IG concrete bottom FG sides 1985 , Hayward Pro S244T sand filter , Hayward Super pump 1 HP 12 - 24 hrs , using 8.25% bleach, K-2006C kit. PF=7

Thanks Watermom.

FNC1962,

Is your water clear? If so, check to see how much FC your losing overnight. Test it in the evening after sunset, then again before the sun hits it in the morning. If you lose more than 1ppm overnight, then something is eating up the FC. In that case I would raise FC to shock level (15ppm FC given CYA of 40) and hold it there until you lose less than 1ppm FC overnight, CC is less than .5ppm, and the water is clear. During this process let the pump/filter run 24/7; keep an eye on filter pressure and clean when needed. Once all three conditions are met, then let FC drift down and maintain normal level (5-6ppm for CYA of 40ppm).

Hope this helps.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Thanks Jim, I followed your advice and believe its okay now. Now, if I could just get the birds to quit using my pool as a "dumping" place.

Quote Originally Posted by FNC1962 View Post
    Thanks Jim, I followed your advice and believe its okay now. Now, if I could just get the birds to quit using my pool as a "dumping" place.
    I'm glad it helped.

We also had a problem with birds pooping in and around the pool. Yuck! Turns out we had a couple nests near the pools; parents were pooping and were also dropping the babies poop in and around the pool. Now that the babies have fledged and they've moved along, there's not near as much poop, thank goodness!

+ Reply to Thread