+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First time opening pool since joining this forum

Default Re: First time opening pool since joining this forum

Hi, The weekend was no problem. Ran the pool cleaner the whole time and had to backwash often. We had a downpour on Sunday that added about 3" to the pool and brought the FC down to about 5.5. I've needed about a gallon of 12.5% each day to keep the chlorine level at 14 or higher. Testing tonight when I got home from work I found my FC/CC was at 6.5/.5. My PH is 7.2. Alkalinity is 110 and hardness 150.
    25k gal pool, 18 x 36, 3' to 8' depth. Vinyl lined. Single speed pump

Well, the CC sure looks better! There's no need to retest your TA and CH right now. (Remember that you can only accurately test pH with FC levels under 10). So don't worry about pH either for now.

How does the water look? How often are you able to check FC?

Get that FC back up and now that your CYA should be there, bump the FC up to a minimum of 15. Since you're working during the day, you could raise it higher in the morning so that it doesn't drop below 15 during the day. You can go higher if you don't plan on swimming.
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 05-26-2015 at 10:46 PM.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Am I getting too impatient if my water hasn't cleared up. I'm going through about 2 gallons of 12.5% a day to keep the FC up over 15. My CC is hovering at .5 to 1. All my other tests look good, but my water is a very pale teal color and I can't see the bottom yet. Don't know if it matters, but we've had a lot of rain this past week.

Patience is the hardest part of the process, for sure! Have you tested your CYA after your addition? The rain might have diluted it a bit.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

My CYA was at 50 when I tested last week on Monday. I haven't tested it since, but I doubt a couple of inches of rain would take it down below 40 or so.
    Well, to quote Yoda, "PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE, YOUNG JEDI". And patient I shall be.

Haha! Keep it up, young padawan! A few inches of rain, I agree. We have had more than you apparently.

Any news?

We've finally had some warmer days. So far this summer seems colder than last. Anyway, the pool finally cleared up early this week. It's crystal clear, clean, and COLD AS THE ARCTIC. If this global warming, ahem, climate change keeps up, I'll need a heater. Thanks so much for all the advice.

Hahaha. Gotcha on the climate change! More rain today for us...

Congrats!!!! and thanks for the update. It's great to know.
    Did you keep your FC at shock level the whole time?

Let us know if any questions come up. Again, congrats!!!

Sorry for not looking at this in a while. Yes, the shock level was kept over 14. Even the weekend we went camping, it stayed up there. As of today, we're still clear. I'm keeping my FC around 3 to 4, my CC has remained near zero, and my PH has been steady at 7.2 to 7.4 with very little acid needed. I'm thrilled with the way things went this year and will keep reading things in this forum in the future. Thanks again fir all your help.

+ Reply to Thread