+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First time opening pool since joining this forum

Default Re: First time opening pool since joining this forum

Bummer. More questions:
    1) did you retest? If so, did you register any FC/CC?
    2) can you see the bottom? If so, is there any gunk you can clean out? If not, use your leaf Rake and see if you can dig up any organics in there.
    3) did you add cya yet? If not, don't.
    4) how is your supply of 0871 and powder for testing? You will need a good supply for your next steps.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

I did retest. FC is 4, CC is 2. I can't see the bottom. I did add the CYA. I'll have to start cleaning the debris of the bottom over the next few days. It's going to be a cool week, so I'm not too concerned about having it ready for the weekend.
    25k gal pool, 18 x 36, 3' to 8' depth. Vinyl lined. Single speed pump

Okay. Read CarlD's excellent post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...You-have-ALGAE!!!

Towards the bottom it talks about algae and the importance of brushing, etc.

Get the crud out ASAP as it will use up your chlorine as fast as you put it in. Your high CC proves this.

Bring your FC up to 15 and keep it there, not letting it drop below 12. Keep your pump on continuously.

If adding 1/2 gallon of 8.25% brought you to FC of 4, your pool volume might very well be less than you think.

A green, cloudy pool would not be clear by this weekend anyway; it will take a while, sorry.

Stock up on bleach, Taylor reagent R-0871, and patience.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions. Wishing you good luck!
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 05-18-2015 at 10:40 PM.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Hi again, I'm working on getting the crud out. It appears to be working. The color has gone from a deep green to a light green. It's still got a lot of brushing and pool cleaner work to go, but i'm seeing progress.
    I'm sure I've got 25,000 gallons, I actually added a full gallon of 12.5% to get my FC to 4.
    2 gallons of 12.5% and a gallon of acid over the past 3 day, my ph is down to 7.4, but my FC/CC is only 3/.4. So I added another 2 gallons tonight of 12.5% to get that chlorine level up. I m considering some clarifier to get the finer granules to clump, but I'll wait to see how the weekend goes.

No clarifier, please. Good job on the crud. Thanks for explaining the FC results. What kind of filter do you have?

Our filter is a sand filter, not sure what brand though. Why no clarifier? I wasn't planing on buying any, I have about a pint left from when I was trusting the local pool store for advice.

Just did my chem tests. FC/CC is great. 13.6/.2. PH is 7.2. the only issue was my CYA was under 20. I added enough acid to bring it up to around 30.
    Last edited by beaverplt; 05-22-2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: more info

Clarifier is just one of those things that you don't need when you follow our methods. Vacuum the big stuff, filter the small stuff.

With a sand filter, you can add DE and it will help your filter remove fine particulates. Here's how: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...to-sand-filter

I just saw your edit with your test results. Good job keeping FC towards 15. Remember, no lower than 12. Assume you are at 30 CYA for your calculations.

You will save on reagents if you use the 10ml sample instead of the 25ml. Use 1 scoop of powder, then add R-0871 dropwise. Multiply by 0.5. In other words, 23 drops is 11.5ppm.

Also, check your supply of R-0871. Order more when it looks low so you don't run out! You need plenty when you are at shock level.

Yeah, I found out quickly last year how much R-0871 you can go through. I use the 25 ml sample only if I know my levels are low. I was actually surprised yesterday when it was where it was because of how much algae my pool cleaner stirred up. This morning my pool color is a light green. Still can't see the bottom of the deep end, but definite progress.

How did things go over the long weekend? I hope you were able to stay on that FC and keep it at shock level or above! Let us know.

+ Reply to Thread