+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dumb questions by newby

Default Dumb questions by newby

I'm planning to set up my Intex 9x18 and I am pretty sure i want to order a salt-water system, as the super-simple pool chemistry method using chorline and borax looks very high-maintenance to me, esp when we're away this summer.

My questions:
    1. Which system should I buy? This one seems v good but pricey: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/intex-kr...FVc2aQod6gEARg
    Is that too much for my small pool? If so what do you recommend?
    2. the Instruction video indicates you need to set this up BEFORE filling pool. Since i haven't ordered one yet I take it this would be a big mistake for me to set up pool Wednesday, as i planned, since it will take a week to deliver? Or can i assemble and fill pool and do the borax/bleach thing for a week and then switch to salt?
    3. I assume it would be very bad to set it up wednesday and not fill it, since if it rains that will go algae-ish very quickly, correct?

thanks!
    4.5k gal Intex 9 x 18, Krystal Clear 1200 gph Sand Filter Pump. PF=27

Default Re: Dumb questions by newby

Made any decisions?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    Made any decisions?
    I replied to you on the other thread, and no, i haven't. The other commenter is trying to steer me in direction away from the intex SW system but I don't see an option other than SW, as i have no one to help me with the higher-maintenance option if i am away. So your advice would be appreciated. I really don't want to order a $400 pump and find out it's not the right one.

Sorry, I really can't help. I was just curious. I would, however, agree that you don't want to introduce copper into your pool.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Hey Sunny, can i ask you one more thing?
    I learned elsewhere on this forum that it's possible to disable the ionizer. If true, then i'd like to buy an Intex SW system. My dilemma is, I don't know for sure whether just any Intex stand-alone SW pump (they are listed in this link: http://www.walmart.com/search/search...ex%20saltwater
    ) will necessarily be compatible with the Krystal Clear 1200 gph Sand Filter Pump that came with the Intex 9x18 4,500 gallon pool I got from Walmart Canada. Do you think it's safe to assume they will easily connect and function as a single unit. Or do i have to buy the combined sand filter/SW pump and basically toss the one i got with my pool out?
    I have to say right now I regret buying this product, given the horrible after-purchase service from Intex. I twice called their help line and both times got Chinese women with shockingly bad English who appeared to have no clue and were just guessing. Second, this link above is for Walmart USA, I'm not even sure if i can buy these SW pumps in canada as they're not listed on the Walmart Canada website. Finally, I have learned elsewhere on this forum that the Taylor K-2006 test kit I "absolutely" must have isn't available in Canada, that I'd need to have a friend travelling in the USA pick one up for me. That opportunity comes up maybe once every five years, that i have a friend generous enough to do that making a quick trip stateside, so this is like saying i can't get one, period.

+ Reply to Thread