+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opening a green, DE filtered pool (sigh)

Default Opening a green, DE filtered pool (sigh)

Hi all,
    Been a while since I've been here, return to see the peril the place is in for the moment. Really hope it's temporary, this place is legendary, and I've pointed many a frustrated pool owner here. Ben, best wishes for your return...

To my point: Once again it's time to open the pool (details in my sig.). I've tried every way I know of here to avoid opening a green pool, save replacing all the water, and it always is green so that's ok. I have the task down to a science and it's clear in around a week and a half. But there's one part I really would like to improve.

I run a Hayward DE filter and there's no better way to filter pool water although when this one is finally retired I may try a sand filter with a cup of DE for the labor-saving. And that's what I'd like to fix especially right about now. The beauty of DE is a curse too when I have a large amount of particulate to remove. This requires at least a DE change PER DAY for a couple days at first. The first couple nights I accept that allowing it to run overnight will result in a clogged grid in the morning with the pump straining against this till I get to it. As well as when I go off to work.

A couple options I'm considering:

-Picking up a used cartridge filter to swap in during this time just so it's easier (and cheaper) to clean.

- Running the Hayward without any DE for a couple days accepting the fact that I'll have to open it up after things start to stabilize and thoroughly clean the grids (fingers) before a proper DE charge.

- Going ahead and springing for a new sand filter now (like the Hayward S244T) to replace my 15 year old EC65a.

Feedback and other ideas much welcome.
    Thanks!

ChuckD

Default Re: Opening a green, DE filtered pool (sigh)

Does your current Hayward filter allow you to install a multiport valve? It would seem that your main problem is that your filter doesn't allow you the other options (recirculate, filter, backwash, waste, etc) that a multiport does.

If you do consider a filter upgrade, consider what I use - Pentair QuadDE. The QuadDE is basically a cartridge filter where the standard filter cartridges are replace with specially designed ones to hold DE. So instead of dozens of fingers or the curved filter screens in standard DE filters, the Pentair unit only has four cartridges to clean in it and it is super easy to take apart, clean and rebuild. Also, the QuadDE comes with the standard plunger type backwash valve (I have that) or you can upgrade it with an optional multiport valve. You can use cellulose fiber instead of DE if you wish.

I'm not in the same situation as you (I don't close my pool) but I have had the urge to replace the plunger valve with a multiport to gain more flexibility in filtering.

I know lots of folks like to tout the fact that you can put DE in a sand filter to get better filtration, but that seems like a crap-shoot to me. Basically you're getting slightly better filtration performance with all the hassle of making sure you do not plug up your sand filter. Sand also has the added complexity of deep channeling that occurs and it just seems like much more of pain to me to deep clean a sand filter as opposed to cleaning a cartridge or DE filter. For reference, it takes me about 3 hours or so to completely disassemble, clean and reassemble my DE filter.

Not sure what you do for winterization of your DE filter but perhaps you might consider cleaning it out completely at the end of the season (leaving no DE in it) and then opening your pool without charging it (as you suggested). Or, if not charging it would damage the fingers, then perhaps you could clean it out and then only lightly recharge the filter while you deal with all the dead algae. Perhaps only half-charging it with DE will get you fewer initial cleanings.

My two cents for what it's worth.....
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

Thanks for the reply Sunny, responses inline:

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyOptimism View Post
    Does your current Hayward filter allow you to install a multiport valve? It would seem that your main problem is that your filter doesn't allow you the other options (recirculate, filter, backwash, waste, etc) that a multiport does.
    Nope, no multiport. We're out in the country on a well so water's precious and vacuuming to waste isn't an attractive option. Backwash involves opening a port in the bottom of the filter and running the pump to flush out the old DE (kind of a waste but negligible). But no recirc option either.

If you do consider a filter upgrade, consider what I use - Pentair QuadDE. The QuadDE is basically a cartridge filter where the standard filter cartridges are replace with specially designed ones to hold DE. So instead of dozens of fingers or the curved filter screens in standard DE filters, the Pentair unit only has four cartridges to clean in it and it is super easy to take apart, clean and rebuild. Also, the QuadDE comes with the standard plunger type backwash valve (I have that) or you can upgrade it with an optional multiport valve. You can use cellulose fiber instead of DE if you wish.
    Saw a youtube video of it. Gourgeous looking filter, easy to maintain, and pricey too! Not sure cleaning it is any easier than backwashing mine though. My Hayward does a great job after getting over the hump. Backwashing once every three weeks or so, a hassle I can live with. But it's still DE which I'd rather not use at the outset.

I'm not in the same situation as you (I don't close my pool) but I have had the urge to replace the plunger valve with a multiport to gain more flexibility in filtering.

I know lots of folks like to tout the fact that you can put DE in a sand filter to get better filtration, but that seems like a crap-shoot to me. Basically you're getting slightly better filtration performance with all the hassle of making sure you do not plug up your sand filter. Sand also has the added complexity of deep channeling that occurs and it just seems like much more of pain to me to deep clean a sand filter as opposed to cleaning a cartridge or DE filter. For reference, it takes me about 3 hours or so to completely disassemble, clean and reassemble my DE filter.

Not sure what you do for winterization of your DE filter but perhaps you might consider cleaning it out completely at the end of the season (leaving no DE in it) and then opening your pool without charging it (as you suggested). Or, if not charging it would damage the fingers, then perhaps you could clean it out and then only lightly recharge the filter while you deal with all the dead algae. Perhaps only half-charging it with DE will get you fewer initial cleanings.
    I dissemble it, thoroughly clean and store in the basement every November. Maybe a partial charge/recharge is the temporary answer. Right now I'm going over Craig's List for cheap used cartridges as another solution.

My two cents for what it's worth.....
    Much more than two! Thanks, Sunny.

If you haven't already read this, check it out: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...ut-Damaging-It

P.s. I love my sand filter!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread