+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: best solar cover

Default best solar cover

I am looking at the solar covers for our new pool , which one is best? I have seen blue black silver and clear, any ideas?
    20 x 52 intex above ground, intex 1650 gph sand filter with a salt ozone

Default Re: best solar cover

Don't know, but I have a translucent blue one from Walmart. It is bulky so I ordered online and picked up at store. Honestly I think the best thing the solar cover does is insulate the pool at night- so be sure to cover it during those cold nights!
    -8200 gallon 20' x 4' (3.5' really) Intex Ultra Frame. Well water w/high alkalinity.
    -"A" filter cartridge, surface skimmer. I spray the A filter every 2 days when I check the chlorine. I only use bleach (3-6), muriatic acid (to knock down ph & alkalinity), and stabilizer (cya 50).

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

The cheapest and lightest one you can find (i.e thinnest). Light so it is easy to use and cheap because in my experience, the thickness and cost has little to do with cover life. I have had a 12 mil, 8 mil and now a 5 mil and they all seem to last about two seasons for me. But the 5 mil is so light anyone can remove it and put it back on so it is more likely to be used.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

well we bought a clear from solarcovers.com man pool is almost to warm even had a algae bloom from it( pool is about 85 degree)s killed it in 2 hours but was worth it
    20 x 52 intex above ground, intex 1650 gph sand filter with a salt ozone

The algae bloom should not be caused by the cover. Why do you think so?

How did you "kill" the cover?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I think he meant he killed the bloom in 2 hours by hammering it with chlorine.

I go with 12 mil clear covers. All covers die in 3 years and the warranty is ONLY for the seams, not the bubbles, so the warranty is worthless. If I cannot get clear, I get clear blue. But I'm done wasting money on the heavy 16 mil covers just to have THEM die in 3 years, too.
    Carl

Carl,

Where do you get your 12 mil clear covers from, and is that 100% clear, or clear blue as you mentioned?

I just ordered myself a 100% clear cover from Amazon and it is a 14 mil. I couldn't find any 100% clear covers that were thinner than that, albeit I only looked at InYo and InTheSwim for other options. It's supposed to arrive today hopefully.

I didn't even look at my local pool stores this year, because last time I ask about a cover, they kept pushing the liquid cover, talking it up like it was the best thing since sliced bread. I don't want to even deal with that stuff, I don't like the idea of it at all for many different reasons.
    14'x28' rectangle 10.9K gal IG vinyl pool; 3/4HP Hayward SP2605X7 pump & S210t sand filter; (Laars Lite 2 LG 175) disconnected; Well H2O; Taylor K2006 kit. PF=11

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

i got it from solarcovers.com, I think. yeah, it is clear, 12 mil. It was about $125.
    The liquid ones are total junk. any wind and it is useless. Hardly works, otherwise.
    Carl

That's not a bad price, I think mine was close to that, maybe $10 cheaper if that. Amazon Prime still charges for shipping on something that big which I wasn't aware of, but wasn't that much, maybe like $8. I might look into that next time, for the shear fact that it's thinner and therefore lighter and easier to deal with. I haven't purchased a cover reel yet, its just not in my budget since I had to replace a garage door opener recently, but I will look to your source to see what their prices are. I just received notice that my cover has been delivered to my house, so as soon as I get home from work, I'll have something fun to open.

Aside from the fact of the wind issue, I can't get the association out of my mind with liquid covers that I'd be swimming under a layer of cooking oil, even though I know that the chemistry is something totally different. I just don't see how they don't screw up the water balance and filters. Not to mention that I wonder if we are going to hear something about negative health benefits 20yrs down the road from them.
    14'x28' rectangle 10.9K gal IG vinyl pool; 3/4HP Hayward SP2605X7 pump & S210t sand filter; (Laars Lite 2 LG 175) disconnected; Well H2O; Taylor K2006 kit. PF=11

Hey Carl I read Clear can produce algae ....yes...no..?? Light or dark blue?? How thick 8 12 or what. I would probably get a reel Thanks Dave
    13000 gallon fiberglass, variable speed pump, cartridge filter, chlorine sanitized ,k-2006, also daily 5 item check ( ch, ph,ta,)
    I only trust the k-2006 titration is better for me

+ Reply to Thread