+ Reply to Thread

Thread: best solar cover

Hybrid View

Default best solar cover

I am looking at the solar covers for our new pool , which one is best? I have seen blue black silver and clear, any ideas?
    20 x 52 intex above ground, intex 1650 gph sand filter with a salt ozone

Default Re: best solar cover

Don't know, but I have a translucent blue one from Walmart. It is bulky so I ordered online and picked up at store. Honestly I think the best thing the solar cover does is insulate the pool at night- so be sure to cover it during those cold nights!
    -8200 gallon 20' x 4' (3.5' really) Intex Ultra Frame. Well water w/high alkalinity.
    -"A" filter cartridge, surface skimmer. I spray the A filter every 2 days when I check the chlorine. I only use bleach (3-6), muriatic acid (to knock down ph & alkalinity), and stabilizer (cya 50).

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

The cheapest and lightest one you can find (i.e thinnest). Light so it is easy to use and cheap because in my experience, the thickness and cost has little to do with cover life. I have had a 12 mil, 8 mil and now a 5 mil and they all seem to last about two seasons for me. But the 5 mil is so light anyone can remove it and put it back on so it is more likely to be used.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

well we bought a clear from solarcovers.com man pool is almost to warm even had a algae bloom from it( pool is about 85 degree)s killed it in 2 hours but was worth it
    20 x 52 intex above ground, intex 1650 gph sand filter with a salt ozone

The algae bloom should not be caused by the cover. Why do you think so?

How did you "kill" the cover?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I think he meant he killed the bloom in 2 hours by hammering it with chlorine.

I go with 12 mil clear covers. All covers die in 3 years and the warranty is ONLY for the seams, not the bubbles, so the warranty is worthless. If I cannot get clear, I get clear blue. But I'm done wasting money on the heavy 16 mil covers just to have THEM die in 3 years, too.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread