+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best way to open a AG pool after the winter

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Best way to open a AG pool after the winter

I have found the Tri-Chlor is highly acidic, and, if you're not careful can lower pH surprisingly rapidly.
    Di-Chlor is also acidic, but not nearly as much or as worrisome as Tri-Chlor.
    CYA is technically acidic but its effect on pool water pH is virtually always negligible. Its effect on stabilizer level is more critical. It's better to slowly approach your target than go past it.

As far as the CYA level goes, as long as you follow the Best Guess table to match chlorine levels to CYA levels, you'll be fine.
    Carl

rdefino is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst rdefino 0

My Ph is at 7.6, Fc at 7, TA I just bumped up from 50 a bit. Waiting to test again.

Now I have these HTH 3in tablets that I;m not sure if I should use, or just stay with the bleach and a powdered stabilizer, but the tablets contain:

trichloro-s-triazinetrione 93.6%
    zinc sulfate 3.5%
    other ingredient 2.9%

available chlorine 84%

as for this statement "As far as the CYA level goes, as long as you follow the Best Guess table to match chlorine levels to CYA levels, you'll be fine."

What is the Best guess table?

thanks
    Oval 18x34 14400 Above Ground Dough Boy, DE Pentair

Quote Originally Posted by rdefino View Post
    My Ph is at 7.6, Fc at 7, TA I just bumped up from 50 a bit. Waiting to test again.

Now I have these HTH 3in tablets that I;m not sure if I should use, or just stay with the bleach and a powdered stabilizer, but the tablets contain:

trichloro-s-triazinetrione 93.6%
    zinc sulfate 3.5%
    other ingredient 2.9%

available chlorine 84%

as for this statement "As far as the CYA level goes, as long as you follow the Best Guess table to match chlorine levels to CYA levels, you'll be fine."

What is the Best guess table?

thanks
    Best Guess Chart is --> here

You definitely do not want to use those tablets. First off, they are not even 99% trichlor but contain zinc sulfate and probably other trace chemicals to make the tablet dissolve slowly and/or resist absorbing water. "Good" trichlor tablets (if there is a such a thing ) are 99% trichloro-s-triazinetrione (trichlor).

Your FC, pH and TA look good. You can fine tune those parameters now as you see fit. So now just ditch the tablets and use only bleach to chlorinate your water. Anything else is going to add stuff you do not want in your water. Use the Best Guess chart to set your CYA/FC levels.

Also, keep an eye on the CC's. Combined chloramines are a good way to check pool water health. Clean pool water should have CC's less than 0.5ppm. It's ok for the CC's to spike up a bit every once in a while (in my pool, the CC's go up after rain) but they should come back down to normal levels within 24 hours. If you're seeing CC's above 0.5ppm sustaining for a while, it's a good bet you have some algae looking for a foothold.
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

rdefino is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst rdefino 0

Thanks.

i'll look at getting some Combined chloramines test strips and borates test strips.

Is "Natural Chemistry Liquid Swimming Pool Stabilizer and Conditioner" a good stabilizer to use. I know it was mentioned to used powered since it's cheaper.

Any recommendations for powdered stabilizer?

thanks
    Oval 18x34 14400 Above Ground Dough Boy, DE Pentair

Quote Originally Posted by rdefino View Post
    Thanks.

i'll look at getting some Combined chloramines test strips and borates test strips.

Is "Natural Chemistry Liquid Swimming Pool Stabilizer and Conditioner" a good stabilizer to use. I know it was mentioned to used powered since it's cheaper.

Any recommendations for powdered stabilizer?

thanks
    Most test strips are useless, very inaccurate. The only test kit you need for your pool is a Taylor K-2006. It tests all the water parameters you need including CC's.

LaMotte InstaTest borate test strips are ok for testing borate levels. They're not as good as drop tests by Hanna Instruments but those tests are expensive and for boron levels in water much less than what you find in pools. So go with the strips for borates.

As far as stabilizer/conditioner/etc (CYA), I'd advise against liquid forms. It's much more expensive and they usually only provide ~ 30% CYA as the solubility of CYA in liquid form is limited. I use BioGuard Maintain-100 Stabilizer (100% CYA) in 6lbs bottles. You can get it a Patio Pools, online or in other pool stores. 6 lbs is more than enough for a adjustment during the swim season.
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

+ Reply to Thread