+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Light brown stains from pool need suggestions

Smile Light brown stains from pool need suggestions

Do I use an ascorbic solution as mentioned in here or use a Jack Magic Magenta type of solution and add metal free for a few days.There is a 1.5 ppm of copper in there which I had lowered the water to 1 ft and hopefully that will help.

Default Re: Light brown stains from pool need suggestions

The easiest culprit to check for is iron. Try putting a vitamin C tablet directly on the stain and tell us what happens.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Quote Originally Posted by phillipjko View Post
    Do I use an ascorbic solution as mentioned in here or use a Jack Magic Magenta type of solution and add metal free for a few days.There is a 1.5 ppm of copper in there which I had lowered the water to 1 ft and hopefully that will help.
    Need to know your pool info (especially volume) but I'd say a foot of water isn't likely to do much. Do you know where the Cu came from? Cleaning it up and sequestering it in the water is fine BUT you really want to find the source of it. If it's in your fill water that's one thing but Cu can also come from equipment (like heat exchangers in water heaters) that are starting to go. Also, posting a full set of water test results using the Taylor K-2006 kit can help us to determine the calcite saturation index (CSI) of the water which is the best way of knowing if your water is properly balanced.
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

I just opened pool about a week ago. Everything is still off. I put in some chlorine (maybe should not have and put in some metal free and the purple stuff). Pool has stains when opening on day 1.. copper was high at 2ppm and after dropping about 2foot of water and the effects of the chemicals.. it is now 0.3 according to test made myself and leslie pool staff. There is still some copper and the brown stains I believe can come off soon if after I get it balanced in PH, ALK, etc etc. Is draining the best way to remove copper in the pool (21,000 gallons) Chlorine is also way too high.. it is slowing going down now and yes I have the Taylor Kit 2006 . I have no heat exchangers but a liner pool and a lot of trees around and it rains a lot here contributing to the copper. Should I be worried of iron? He said there was no iron in there. I have the stain free ascorbic acid 4 lbs but did not use it first since I thought maybe get everything balance and then lastly is to remove the stains later... ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by phillipjko View Post
    I just opened pool about a week ago. Everything is still off. I put in some chlorine (maybe should not have and put in some metal free and the purple stuff). Pool has stains when opening on day 1.. copper was high at 2ppm and after dropping about 2foot of water and the effects of the chemicals.. it is now 0.3 according to test made myself and leslie pool staff. There is still some copper and the brown stains I believe can come off soon if after I get it balanced in PH, ALK, etc etc. Is draining the best way to remove copper in the pool (21,000 gallons) Chlorine is also way too high.. it is slowing going down now and yes I have the Taylor Kit 2006 . I have no heat exchangers but a liner pool and a lot of trees around and it rains a lot here contributing to the copper. Should I be worried of iron? He said there was no iron in there. I have the stain free ascorbic acid 4 lbs but did not use it first since I thought maybe get everything balance and then lastly is to remove the stains later... ideas?
    Yeah, not to sound like "snarky" but blindly adding chemicals to a pool is really not a good idea. Also, your Cu is not gone, it's just masked. The 0.3ppm reading is simply lowered from 2.0ppm because of the Jack's purple stuff and MetalFree you added.

So here's my list of questions -

1. Are you using a Taylor K-2006 test kit? If so, can you post a full set of test results including CYA.

2. What "chlorine" did you add to the pool and what is your FC level?

3. What is you standard chlorination method (liquid chlorine, tablets, etc)?

4. Did you ever use Cu-based algaecides?

5. Can you please create a signature line with all of your pool details in it including your location?

The only way to remove metals completely is to drain and refill your pool. Since you have a vinyl liner, you CAN NOT fully drain your pool. The most you can drop the water line is 1 ft above the bottom of the shallow end. If reverse osmosis filtration is available in your area, then that could eliminate metals too, but it is typically only offered out here in the southwest.

If the brown stains persist after shocking your pool (remember, shock is process not a product), then it is either iron or copper. You'd have to perform a vitamin C test to see what you're dealing with. If they are metal stains, they can be removed by doing an ascorbic acid treatment but that is only going to put the metal ions into solution, not completely get rid of them.

So, before doing anything with the metal stains and metal in your water, your first mission is to get your pool water clean, clear and balanced. Then and only then can you properly deal with your metals.
    Last edited by SunnyOptimism; 04-29-2015 at 12:21 PM.
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

4-29-2015 @ 5:40Central Time
    Calcium Hardness 180-200
    Chlorine 5-6
    Free Chlorine 10
    PH 5.8 to 6.4
    TA 55-60
    Copper 0.3
    CYA 0

Season is early still and I hate to drain all the water from the pool. Pool seems quite clear.. but just stains below. It was very brownish before but it has became less... maybe due to it being open for about 2 weeks now.. I do not on it all the time. I know the copper cannot be removed. My neighbour told me that we get rain so often and it is always going to be there.. so use Metal free and Magenta Stuff (it has stain removal properties as well for this) now or wait for a few more weeks? Should I add the CYA powder as well? I did not used any algecide this time since there was none when I opened the pool
    18 x 36 Liner Pool. About 1975 built in ground
    22,000 gallon, Hayward/ Jacuzzi Sand Filter
    Aqua pure Salt Water Generator, Chlorine Tab Dispenser
    1Hp super Pump

Before Sunny responds, would you clarify your numbers, please? I'm not sure what you mean, eapecially if you used your K2006. Post it like this:
    FC
    CC
    Also, you will need to address that low pH right away; tonight. Do you have any 20 mule team borax on hand? The K2006 doesn't measure below 7.0, and based on your guestimate, it is significantly lower.
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 04-29-2015 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Add K2006 pH range.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Ok, let's go through this slowly.

First off, stop listening to your neighbor. Rain water has no metals in it (where would the metals come from??). Rain water is actually a good thing in your case because it is pure water and if you let it fill your pool (while removing old water) then you can naturally reduce your metal levels. But for now, forget about metals as your water quality is more important at the moment.

@FBU is correct, your pH is waaaaaaay too low. Borax is one way to raise it but you have very low TA so, if you can find it, you can use washing soda (sodium carbonate....NOT BAKING SODA which is sodium bicarbonate). Pure sodium carbonate is not easy to find in the stores, but sometimes you get lucky. Pool stores sell it but at a major price markup. Borax (20 Mule Team) will raise pH without raising alkalinity but you shouldn't have more than 50ppm of borates in your water and I don't want you to create one problem trying fix another.

@FBU is also right in that I don't understand your chlorine numbers. I need to know free chlorine (FC) and combined chloramines (CC). Please retest those and report. If your CC's are high then your water is definitely NOT OK. You can have clear water and high CCs which is typically indicative of a nascent algae bloom.

I see you have an SWG. How old is it? The Cu you have in your water could be coming from old or damaged plates in the SWG. With your pH so low, you could have easily damaged the coating on the SWG plates and exposed the Cu metal underneath. But for right now, you are not going to run the SWG. You should do all of your chlorination manually using liquid chlorine (bleach) until we get your pool water under control.

How confident are you with that CYA test? CYA of 0 is unusual but not unheard of in winterized pools. Certain types of Bacteria and algae can consume CYA during the winter and produce ammonia. Sometimes a 0 reading is caused by operator error during the test OR because your other water values are so far off that the CYA test is not accurate (especially with your pH being so acidic).

Which leads me to another question - how did you get those pH values? The K-2006 kit uses phenol red indicator which doesn't show color changes below 6.8 and certain can't read down to 5.4.

Please respond with the following water parameters using the K-2006 :

FC
    CC
    TA
    pH
    CYA
    CH (this one is not very important to get right at the moment).

DO NOT ADD ANY CYA UNTIL YOU GET A FULL SET OF RESULTS. If your CYA test is off and you do have CYA in the water, you do not want to overshoot as the only way to lower CYA is by draining.

A p.s. to Sunny's post. You can get washing soda in the laundry aisle at Walmart or your grocery. It's called Arm and Hammer Super WASHING Soda. It is 100% sodium carbonate. Make sure you buy this and not BAKING soda. I would buy two boxes to have on hand, but don't add it until you report your numbers.

Tested today at 4/20/2015

FC is 50 drops x 3 - 150 ( too high)
    CC - 5 Drops
    PH - 10 drops (Base Demand Test)
    TA - 90
    Calcium Hardness - 300
    2 weeks ago when opening I added CYA of about 3 LBS remainder accidentally. I do not have the CYA agent to test....for now.
    What I should do? Thanks
    18 x 36 Liner Pool. About 1975 built in ground
    22,000 gallon, Hayward/ Jacuzzi Sand Filter
    Aqua pure Salt Water Generator, Chlorine Tab Dispenser
    1Hp super Pump

+ Reply to Thread