+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ps233 PH results do not match Hanna digital PH tester!

Amir is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Amir 0

Unhappy ps233 PH results do not match Hanna digital PH tester!

using PS233 I get a PH of 7.5-7.6 but Henna PHep4 shows a ph of 8.I had just did a two point calibration on the meter. Is there a reason for the discrpancy?Thanks
    Amir

http://www.hannainst.com/products/te...-%20HI%2098128

Default Re: ps233 PH results do not match Hanna digital PH tester!

Color perception, possibly...although that is a pretty big difference in terms of color.

Michael

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

pH meter electrodes do go bad, especially if they have not been stored correctly or allowed to dry out. That could be a possible source of the the problems. The probe could also need cleaning as per the instuction manual. I have had a lot of laboratory experience with pH meters and that would be my guess.
    Last edited by waterbear; 06-13-2006 at 12:31 AM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

The Hanna unit was purchased 2 months ago, stored in storage solution, soaked in ph 7 for 2 hours before use (when new) and when placed in PH 7 or PH 10 calibration solution shows correct ph number. I work with color as part of my work (garphic design) and if I could not tell the correct color, I would be out of business. I understand it is the tone not the intensity of color - more orange is lower ph, more pink is higher ph. I guess I need another source to check my numbers - maybe a pool company. I check again this morning, the meter shows 7.6 and the drops show ~7.2! Any one lives in near me that can check their tap water so we can have standard? the meter shows 7.7 for the tap water. Regards

Amir

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Have you tried checking the pH of the pH 7 standard with the drop kit? Might prove enlightening. Phenol red indicator is pretty accurate but I have seen standard solotions that have changed pH. Depends on how they were stored and how fresh they are. I still lean toward the phenol red indicator.
    Last edited by waterbear; 06-13-2006 at 07:15 PM.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Amir
    using PS233 I get a PH of 7.5-7.6 but Henna PHep4 shows a ph of 8.I had just did a two point calibration on the meter. Is there a reason for the discrpancy?Thanks
    Amir

http://www.hannainst.com/products/te...-%20HI%2098128

I've used Hanna products in the past, and have an extremely low opinion of their quality.

If you have a clear buffer that you can calibrate with, test the buffer with both the Hanna & the phenol red.

One caution: phenol red is NOT stable with chlorine levels above 3 ppm. The phenol red from Taylor, used in the PS200 should be stabilized to 10 - 15 ppm chlorine, but above that will give various false readings.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc

One caution: phenol red is NOT stable with chlorine levels above 3 ppm. The phenol red from Taylor, used in the PS200 should be stabilized to 10 - 15 ppm chlorine, but above that will give various false readings.

Ben
    Do I read this correctly? you said 3 ppm. I don't have that much because I run very low CYA (20) and the pool is mostly in shade, but most people here run over 5 ppm in chlorine. How then can they test the PH?
    I will test the buffer tonight. I bought my PS kit last year (August) and have last years test soloution and also reordered refill for chlorine and PH last month. I will give it another try and will also compare with the pool company. Thanks all.
    Amir

OK. I tested the PH 7 solution last night. the solution I had was opened about a month ago but sealed and stored in cool dark place. the PH test closest to the color showed PH of 6.8 (but that's the lowest on the scale). I will try a pool store this Saturday.
    Regards

Amir

Quote Originally Posted by Amir
    OK. I tested the PH 7 solution last night. the solution I had was opened about a month ago but sealed and stored in cool dark place. the PH test closest to the color showed PH of 6.8 (but that's the lowest on the scale). I will try a pool store this Saturday.
    Regards

Amir
    so you are saying the phenol red turned yellow? if so that means the solution is pH 6.8 or lower. Most pH meters are calibrated at pH 4.0, 7.0, and 10.0 and use three calibration standards. I believe your meter is just supposed to be calibrated at 7.0 and 10.0. (correct me if I am wrong on this) Perhaps the standard is mislabled and is really the pH 4.01 or pH 6.86 standard that Hanna supplies.

edit: I just read the manual for the meter online. Is the meter set up for the right calibration buffer set? (pH 7.01 or pH 6.86) This setting is in your setup mode. Hanna uses two different buffer sets. One set has ph 4.01,7.01, and 10.01 buffers and the other 4.01, 6.96, and 9.18 buffers. If the meter is set wrong for your buffers then the results will not be accurate. The default buffer set is the 7.01 set. If your pH 7 buffer tested closer to 6.8 perhaps you have the wrong buffer set and have to change the setting on the meter.
    Last edited by waterbear; 06-15-2006 at 09:18 PM.

the meter was calibrated at 7 and 10 (the meter shows what buffer to use it was set to 7.01 10.01 and 4.01) I just ordered a new batch of buffers and try again. Could the phenol red that I got last year is bad?

Carl,
    was my understanding correct that you can not trust the ph reading above 3 ppm ? is this true of last year PS233 and this year refill of phenol red?
    Amir

+ Reply to Thread