+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ripped liner, walls creased from ice?

Default Ripped liner, walls creased from ice?

After our horrendous northeast winter I noticed that my liner had ripped and the weight of the ice that had accumulated seems to have pulled the sides of my pool somewhat. There are no real dents but just some mild creases. The wall is pulled away a few inches from a few of the posts near the top but not that bad.

Will a new liner be sufficient? Will the side collapse or will should the outward pressure of the water straighten out the wall?.

The wall is in very good shape otherwise as are all of the supports.

It is a 24 round cantor pool

Thanks

Default Re: Ripped liner, walls creased from ice?

Adding some pictures would be helpful. You can post pictures using a photosharing service like Picasa or Photobucket. Just upload your images to one of those services and then copy & paste the image link into any Pool Forum post and your picture will show up.

If the liner is ripped, I doubt you can open the pool with it as I imagine the tear will just get progressively worse until you have a full-blown leak. The wrinkles may or may not go away depending on their location and how the water will put pressure on them. I know you all got hammered this winter (I still have family in NY) so I'm not at all surprised.

Dumb question - could your homeowners insurance possibly be used to pay for a new liner? If it's obvious that the winter storms caused damage, maybe your homeowners policy would cover part or all of a claim? Just a thought, may not be worth the hassle.
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

Thanks,

Pictures here

http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/ma...?sort=3&page=1

My liner is shot, I am just looking for information regarding the wall.

Liner isn't that expensive and I installed this one myself so the cost wouldn't meet my homeowners deductible

Ok, I understand what you're talking about now (pictures help a lot!).

So would you say that you are ok structurally? Your frame isn't damaged is it?

If it's just the outside metal wall of the pool I don't believe those are load-bearing, they just provide protection for the liner, right? If that is the case, then I would install the new liner and fill 'er up. While it's empty, I would try to fix up and wrinkles or other components.

Rough winter back east, friend. Worst I can think of and I spent a good portion of my life in NY and MA. Makes me glad I live in AZ - when it snows, it's all up in the mountains and I get to choose whether or not I want to visit it
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

All of the uprights are fine, no damage to them. I wasn't sure how much of a part structurally the walls play.

Quote Originally Posted by mdenegre View Post
    All of the uprights are fine, no damage to them. I wasn't sure how much of a part structurally the walls play.
    Well it's good to hear that the uprights are solid. I find it hard to believe that the walls would be load-bearing in any way but I just don't know how AG pools work as there are so many different varieties. You should wait until another AG pool owner can chime in. Any info on the make & model of the AG pool would help. Have you considered calling the manufacturer or installer to ask them for an opinion?

Good luck.

Hi, the damage does not look too bad, but I would fix it before installing a new liner. Since you are installing a new liner I would use a rubber mallet and small piece of 2 x 4 to flatten out the wall. I would then use a laser level to check the level at every upright, make them all the same. The ground froze and raised up causing the wall to crease, you need to fix that. A crease at the bottom causes the wall to be short at the top, causing problems with staying in the top connectors.

Anyway, before installing a new liner, make the pool look like new.

Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

Thanks Dennis

Progress report?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread