+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Robotic cleaner recommendations

Default Robotic cleaner recommendations

I've noticed on this forum recently and in searching the history that rarely does anyone make any recommendations for robotic pool cleaners even when that is what has specifically been asked. I'm interested in robotic cleaners as well. I'm getting the sense from this forum that most of the members replying do not prefer robotic and would rather talk you out of it, perhaps for good reason. However, if one is set on the robotic type is there another forum that you would recommend to actually learn more about the vast models on the market and to receive more discussion and recommendations?
    Last edited by ekalbs4; 04-11-2015 at 06:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Robotic cleaner recommendations

To clarify, by robotic I mean low voltage powered type.

Well, my pool has a dedicated suction port for a suction-side cleaner and I have a spare pressure port from the waterfall setup that I could run a pressure-side cleaner. I'm not against robotic (electric) cleaners, just have no need for them. They are also quite expensive compared to the other types of cleaners so, for a good number of people, they are not a good financial return on investment particularly if you live in a short swim season climate.

But hey, if you've got the $$$ to spend on it and it would help you keep the pool clean, I say go for it. Only downside I see, in my opinion, is that you kind of have to baby sit them. With my suction side cleaner, I just leave it running all the time and remove it when we swim. So it's just part of the pool background.
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

Well, I’ll throw in my two cents for what it’s worth. I’ve looked into 5 robotic cleaners, although 2 are basically the same.

1) Hayward Tiger Shark RC9955GR
    a. 42lbs
    b. 4500gph
    c. Caddy not included

2) Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 830
    a. 45lbs
    b. 4233gph
    c. Caddy included

3) Polaris Sport 9550
    a. 21lbs
    b. 4260gph
    c. Caddy included

4) Dolphin Supreme M5
    a. 24lbs
    b. 4490gph
    c. Caddy included

5) Dolphin Oasis Z5 (online version of the Supreme M5 with small differences – one less brush and “basic” remote)

I eliminated the Prowler 830 after I found out the weight. I also eliminated the Tiger Shark because of the weight and because the caddy had to be purchased separately. 40+ pounds and full of water seems a bit much for my back, and my wife would be handling it during the work week. Both had very good reviews from various sites I've visited.

The Polaris Sport looks very cool but the reviews weren't as good and everything else on the list, and it was one of the more expensive robots. I think the price just came down a bit the past week, though.

As for the M5 or the Z5, both are highly rated and recommended. The M5 comes with a 3rd brush and a "Pro" remote and the Z5 only has 2 brushes and comes with a "Basic" remote. Weird, but the M5 is only sold in stores and the Z5 online.

So, it came down to where I would get the best deal for either the M5 or the Z5. With the rebate being offered and the price I paid, the M5 ended up being cheaper. Plus, my thoughts are that 3 brushes are better than 2. Not sure about the difference in the remote functionality, but the M5 allows me to select the run time, delayed start, or focusing on specific area like the floor or the water line.

I know this isn't a recommendation, but it may give you and idea of what might work for you. In all honesty, I can't recommend the M5 at the moment because I don't have a pool to put it in...yet.

The Blue Diamond had some really good reviews too, but I really didn't look into it too much figuring I had enough to look at.

Hope this helps!
    36'x20' Freeform, IG - 13k gal, Spa - 800 gal, Diamond Brite, Intelliflo VS pump, TR-140C sand filter, Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 2HP Whisperflo pump (waterfall), Pool Pilot Digital RC-42 SWCG, K-2006 Test Kit

I've researched most of these same models, and like you, I've eliminated several because of the weight. Have you looked at the Dolphin Triton? From what I've read, it is supposed to be similar to the Pentair Prowler 830 and the Dolphin Premier and Dolphin DX6, however, it is only supposed to weigh 19 lbs. About $300 less that the Dolphin Supreme M5/Dolphin Oasis Z5/Dolphin Triton Plus.

I found the information on this website to be very helpful to identifying which units are similar, but with different branding,
    http://www.sunplay.com/blog/the-trut...t-telling-you/

Quote Originally Posted by ekalbs4 View Post
    I've researched most of these same models, and like you, I've eliminated several because of the weight. Have you looked at the Dolphin Triton? From what I've read, it is supposed to be similar to the Pentair Prowler 830 and the Dolphin Premier and Dolphin DX6, however, it is only supposed to weigh 19 lbs. About $300 less that the Dolphin Supreme M5/Dolphin Oasis Z5/Dolphin Triton Plus.

I found the information on this website to be very helpful to identifying which units are similar, but with different branding,
    http://www.sunplay.com/blog/the-trut...t-telling-you/
    Interesting info. Didn't know there was a third cleaner that was similar to the M5. In doing a quick study, I still paid less with the rebate. I'm also finding that "specs" vary from dealer to dealer. Weights, suction rates and warranties differ from the manufacturer to dealer to dealer. All very confusing.

I did look at the Premiere and DX6 and the Nautilus, but leaned toward the Supreme series for one reason or another, handles, ease of cleaning, replacement of parts, etc... I set my criteria's and looked at a ton of reviews and websites.
    36'x20' Freeform, IG - 13k gal, Spa - 800 gal, Diamond Brite, Intelliflo VS pump, TR-140C sand filter, Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 2HP Whisperflo pump (waterfall), Pool Pilot Digital RC-42 SWCG, K-2006 Test Kit

Over the years I have tried 3-4 of the pump type Kreepy Krauly or others.
    Last year I bought an electric Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M4. This thing is incredible, it cleans easily, will pickup leaves and just about any dirt in the pool. Best thing I ever bought for my pool and it work perfectly from day 1.
    No need to run my pump more than 6 hours a day now.

http://dolphinpoolrobot.com/en/resid...ers#supreme-m4
    20x40 IG liner pool, Pentair 1.5 hp pump, 30" Ranger sand filter.
    Taylor K-2006 kit, Dolphin M4 Supreme cleaner.

Not sure why you would want a remote. I just trow it in the pool and press on and it works. It stops when its full or after 3 hours I believe. When I come back later I just press on again to restart it for another round if needed.
    Easier to haul and install that a 50 ft hose and cleaner.
    Keep it simple.
    What I like over the pump type is I could never leave the crawler running unattended as the pump will run dry when the filter become clog when the cleaner as pickup some dirts or leaves and plugged.
    Or gets jammed in a corner just after I left. If the robots gets jammed it just start backward to release itself. Great unit.
    20x40 IG liner pool, Pentair 1.5 hp pump, 30" Ranger sand filter.
    Taylor K-2006 kit, Dolphin M4 Supreme cleaner.

+ Reply to Thread