+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bromine in Pool

Question Bromine in Pool

Last year, my first year with this pool, I had issue with disappearing chlorine. After some research I am wondering the maybe the previous owner had used Bromine in the pool...

Is there any way to test/confirm if Bromine was ever used in the pool?
    New pool owner
    30,000 gallon concrete and tile pool with DE filter and offline Chlorinator.

Question Re: Bromine in Pool

I don't believe there's any standard pool water testing kit that can differentiate bromine from chlorine. The indicator chemicals react with both halogens and the only difference is typically a scale factor (for FAS-DPD type tests, you multiply the ppm's you get by 2.25 when dealing with bromine). I'm sure there are sophisticated analytical tests that can distinguish one halogen from another but it's not something you can perform in your garage.

Why do you suspect bromine as the culprit? There are other causes of high chlorine consumption (Ozone, ammonia, CYA too low, etc). Can you explain your suspicions and reasonings a little further?

Cheers
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

Default Re: Bromine in Pool

Good questions
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Default Re: Bromine in Pool

@gagan

Did you ever find the cause of your high chlorine demand? Just checking to see if this is still an issue for you.
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

+ Reply to Thread