+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best time to open an IG pool in NJ

Question Best time to open an IG pool in NJ

Here is NJ, it is still quite cold (44°F right now). Its expected to go into 50s and 60s over the next few days.

So the question is when is the right time to open my pool??? Do not have a heater yet, still contemplating getting one this year or not.
    New pool owner
    30,000 gallon concrete and tile pool with DE filter and offline Chlorinator.

Default Re: Best time to open an IG pool in NJ

Think more about the water temperature. I suggest that you open before the pool water reaches 60 degrees. After the water reaches 60, algae likes to take hold. Even if you can't use the pool until the weather gets better, it's easier and cheaper to avoid the algae and open before it can get started. I am in a similar climate and for us, I start checking around tax day, April 15. (It's just a handy way to remind myself!)
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

I just opened today water temp is 57 degrees. I have a lot of oaks and like ot wait until the tumble weeds fall off which they did this week. Since we had no Spring everything bloomed late. Pool opened pretty clean. Expected readings, low PH, low Alk, low stabilizer. I start with a leaf vacum, then will switch to regular vacum, then polaris.
    Expect will have it clear in 10 days.
    NJ Pool: In Ground, 40,000 Gal vinyl liner, chlorinated using BBB, Gas Heated, DE Grid filtration.
    FL Pool: 10K gal gunite, chlorinated with 3'' pucks, cartridge filter, spill over spa

Great! Keep us informed, and good luck!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread