+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About to open pool for summer

Default About to open pool for summer

This Forum was awesome 2 years ago when I switch over to the BBB method and after I puchased a kit that PoolDoc recommended, He/She helped me get the pool looking awesome. I had no problems keeping the pool crystal clear using this method and never had an issue and didnt post much after. I even got my parents to switch to this method and they love it...Once I figured out my pool and how much chemicals were needed for maintenance, I started only testing once a week and never had a problem again and kept the pool up using this method for the rest of that summer and through out winter and half of the following summer (last summer) but during the middle of it, personal issues came up so I ended up having to close the pool down, and kept it closed for the remaining bit of last summer and all last winter.

Now it's the start of the a new summer, so I pulled the Loop-Lok cover off this afternoon and checked over all the plumbing/pump/filter etc everything looks good. I've got a new pressure gauge to install tomorrow but I believe all looks good. I'm going to start the process of getting everything going but wanted to see what I should do first? Water is black/green so not sure how bad it is until a little more light outside.

Should I first test the water with my K-2006 kit to see where I'm at and adjust pH first then backwash/shock/brush/vacuum to waste and start keeping my Chlorine levels up, running the pump 24/7

Just checked my left over supplies and I've got:

7 Gallons of 6% bleach (about 1 year old-never opened)
    6 packs of dry chlorinating granules 1 lb each (68% Calcium Hypochlorite and 32% other ingrediants)
    24 chlorine tablets 3" each in size

I'm sort of rusty now and having to familiarize myself with everything. I'll post some pics tomorrow. I wish I would have kept it up through the winter like I did that first winter so It wouldn't have gotten this bad but I'm sure it'll be crystal clear like before...just take a little more work.
    Last edited by Zac851; 03-27-2015 at 11:01 PM.
    20K Gal Vinyl Liner IG Pool (16' Wide x 32' Long & 8' Max Depth)
    Hayward S244T Filter
    CL200 Feeder
    1.5HP Up-Rate Super Pump

Default Re: About to open pool for summer

Well, I would test so you know what to add. The bleach is obvious, but just how much depends on your CYA levels. You also need to know your pH. Good luck, and let us know. Glad you love the forum!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Water wasn't as dirty as I thought it was but numbers are off.

Free/CC - 0 ppm
    Water pH - 7.0
    Total Alkalinity - 20 ppm
    CYA - 0 ppm

Should I first add some baking soda to get my pH up some? I could have sworn I seen an excel sheet somewhere here that told me an estimate of how much I thought.

Also, what about Alkalinity? I've never seen it this low before.
    20K Gal Vinyl Liner IG Pool (16' Wide x 32' Long & 8' Max Depth)
    Hayward S244T Filter
    CL200 Feeder
    1.5HP Up-Rate Super Pump

Start with a box of baking soda. It will also raise that low TA. Also add about 2 gallons of your bleach. You want to aim for about 10ppm for shock level, but who knows what strength is left. You can retest FC/CC after it circulates.
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 03-28-2015 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Add TA
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread