+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pool covers (solar)

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Default Re: Pool covers (solar)

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyOptimism View Post
    Does anyone have any links to threads regarding the use/efficacy of liquid chemical cover products like COVERFree? These would be any products that use hydrophobic fatty acids (eg, stearic acid) to create a monolayer film on the water's surface to reduce evaporation.
    I didn't find too many links here on this forum (could be the search engine), but at TFP there are a lot of threads about liquid solar covers and COVERFree. This post of mine lists various chemicals used for this technique. They basically do work to cut down evaporation by around 80% if the air is still (compared to nearly 100% for a traditional bubble-type cover), but when there is wind or if the pump moves the water too much then their effect is reduced considerably.

As teapot mentioned, if the film is disturbed enough to get sucked into the skimmer, it will get caught in the filter similar to what happens with suntan lotion. As for encouraging bacterial biofilm, that may be more of a problem in sand filters where channeling could occur as a result. In cartridge filters this doesn't seem to be seen as much, perhaps because chlorine is more consistently and evenly distributed in spite of such film getting caught into the filter.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

I see, or rather without a picture I don't Lol. adding a tow end to the cover would keep it afloat? but I wonder how you will get on with the water fall and spill over as the liquid blanket only works on still water. I wonder how the DE will get on with the coating of fats as I would think it's filtration value is in the tiny pores in the silicon, once clogged with fats, not so sure but happy for you to pop back and let us know. Because I run my system 24/7 I couldn't even if I thought it was viable idea, it wouldn't work.

That Sierra Nevada 5% figure is quite alarming, The UK is short on reservoirs with an ever increasing population so frequent hose pipe bans over here in the summer. car washing with one of those washmatic car thingies saves a lot of water over a pressure washer etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMdMcx7xhoQ
    Last edited by Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK; 04-06-2015 at 04:09 AM. Reason: adding a link

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot View Post
    I see, or rather without a picture I don't Lol. adding a tow end to the cover would keep it afloat? but I wonder how you will get on with the water fall and spill over as the liquid blanket only works on still water. I wonder how the DE will get on with the coating of fats as I would think it's filtration value is in the tiny pores in the silicon, once clogged with fats, not so sure but happy for you to pop back and let us know. Because I run my system 24/7 I couldn't even if I thought it was viable idea, it wouldn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    I didn't find too many links here on this forum (could be the search engine), but at TFP there are a lot of threads about liquid solar covers and COVERFree. This post of mine lists various chemicals used for this technique. They basically do work to cut down evaporation by around 80% if the air is still (compared to nearly 100% for a traditional bubble-type cover), but when there is wind or if the pump moves the water too much then their effect is reduced considerably.

As teapot mentioned, if the film is disturbed enough to get sucked into the skimmer, it will get caught in the filter similar to what happens with suntan lotion. As for encouraging bacterial biofilm, that may be more of a problem in sand filters where channeling could occur as a result. In cartridge filters this doesn't seem to be seen as much, perhaps because chlorine is more consistently and evenly distributed in spite of such film getting caught into the filter.
    Thanks for the great insights. I can see from reading those threads and from what you all have said that I'm going to have to modify my pool operations a bit before trying the liquid cover. I have been planning on buying a Pentair valve actuator so that I can automate the 3-way valve that currently splits water between my spa and pool returns. Putting an actuator on it will allow me to run the spillway remotely and to put it on a schedule as opposed to now where it is only shut off if I go back to the equipment pad and turn the valve handle to 100% pool return (I split off about 50% of the water return to the spa).

Between my spillway and waterfall (which only runs for 30mins two times per day), I think I have too much water agitation. Also, I'll need to redirect my eyeball returns because they tend to point slightly upwards and ripple the water. I can't do anything about the occasional light breezes we get in the afternoons so that will just have to be a given when I experiment with the liquid cover.

Cheers!
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

My new-fill water started out at 54 degrees, lots of variables, but basically with only a solar cover, it's up to 72 in a week's time. It's been warm during the days here in Vegas, but gets cool at night. Previously, it would be the end of May before I hit 72, so have to attribute a bit of that to the new solar cover.

As for removal, not that much pain - I simply grab one corner, my son grabs another, and we fold it length-wise. Then, I have a PVC pipe that I slide under the midpoint, lift the whole thing out of the water, and hang the pipe against a side wall on the hooks where I store my skimmer poles. Easy, two minute operation, max.

+ Reply to Thread