+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Unexpected guests

Default Re: Unexpected guests

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyOptimism View Post
    Around my parts, the big black snakes are the good ones - King snakes! They are constrictors and they prey on rattlesnakes and vermin or all kind. Had one around the yard a year or so back but he left and now I'm stuck with having to trap ground squirrels and "dispose" of rattlesnakes (technically you're not allowed to kill a rattlesnake) . Would love for another King snake to move in and help me out.
    The black snakes here a called Black Racers and are non-poisonous. I've only see one...partially. They move really quickly. We do have rattlers here, but I'm hoping they stay away from our "pond". Besides the Bull Snakes, our usual company includes bunnies (lots), squirrels, deer and skunks. I love them better than scorpions, centipedes, tarantulas, and coyotes...although we do have coyotes here too.
    36'x20' Freeform, IG - 13k gal, Spa - 800 gal, Diamond Brite, Intelliflo VS pump, TR-140C sand filter, Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 2HP Whisperflo pump (waterfall), Pool Pilot Digital RC-42 SWCG, K-2006 Test Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Toybuilder View Post
    The black snakes here a called Black Racers and are non-poisonous. I've only see one...partially. They move really quickly. We do have rattlers here, but I'm hoping they stay away from our "pond". Besides the Bull Snakes, our usual company includes bunnies (lots), squirrels, deer and skunks. I love them better than scorpions, centipedes, tarantulas, and coyotes...although we do have coyotes here too.
    Black racers are common here too and they are FAST! Luckily most of my "useful" property is surrounded by a 4'-6' block wall so it keeps most of the critters out. Except for the lizards, we have lots of fat, happy lizards....surprisingly I've never had one drown in the pool (says guy furiously knocking on wood desk.....)

I love these critter-type posts, you get to learn so much about other people's environments.
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyOptimism View Post
    Black racers are common here too and they are FAST! Luckily most of my "useful" property is surrounded by a 4'-6' block wall so it keeps most of the critters out. Except for the lizards, we have lots of fat, happy lizards....surprisingly I've never had one drown in the pool (says guy furiously knocking on wood desk.....)

I love these critter-type posts, you get to learn so much about other people's environments.
    I saw something this morning that I haven't seen around here before, a raccoon. This was a big one too. Thought it was a coyote at first.

Our house in Ca. had a 6' cinder block wall all the way around the back. I think I'm going to miss it. I like the wood we have now, but it doesn't keep very may of those critters out.
    36'x20' Freeform, IG - 13k gal, Spa - 800 gal, Diamond Brite, Intelliflo VS pump, TR-140C sand filter, Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 2HP Whisperflo pump (waterfall), Pool Pilot Digital RC-42 SWCG, K-2006 Test Kit

We are pretty tame here compared to you guys. We are about 36 miles west of Chicago (a long swathe of suburbs inbetween). We have simple critters for the most part. Chipmunks, rabbits, deer, opposum, box elder bugs, red fox, (although they are declining due to the) COYOTES! In suburbia, the coyotes are quite brazen. They took one of my dogs.... My other dog was there at the time and she still freaks out when she hears them howling after a kill. My hubby got a FOID card after that one. Like Sunny, he wants to "dispose" of them... but not much progress on that.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread