+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help! Please!!!

Default Need help! Please!!!

Another newbie here with cloudy water after a horrible algae bloom...

Prior to finding this site, I have been following pool store directives (I even starting taking water samples to two different stores to get second opinions). Anyway, after shocking with calcium hypo and using some algaecide, one dealer had me use a product called System Support (sodium percarbonate). It seemed to have killed off much/all algae, as the water now appears somewhat more blue than green, but VERY CLOUDY. I also stir up white and green clouds when brushing.

Pool store test yesterday showed 0.83 free chlorine, pH 7.7, CYA 60.

Sounds like I need to start pouring in bleach to raise chlorine levels. Will this also clear the cloudiness? I have a 28k gallon gunite pool with Pentair cartridge filter, so I am unable to vacuum to waste. I could vacuum to the filter and clean it frequently??? Should I? Why/why not?

Yesterday, when I went to the dealer, I got the ol' "I don't know what to tell you" response. I was about to start calling pool service companies when I came across this site. Can somebody help me?

Thanks!
    bgray

Default Re: Need help! Please!!!

Bgray,
    You need to get your chlorine level in 'shock' territory, around 15ppm, and keep it there morning, noon and night for a week. Also, run your filter 24/7 while dealing with cloudy water. You are going to need to clean that filter a few times before the water is clear but need to filter it all out one way or the other (vacuuming or filtering). Each bottle of 6% Ultra Bleach (5.25% regular) will raise 10,000 gallons 6ppm (5.25ppm). Lastly, do yourself a favor and get a cheap test kit (walmart has plently) so you can test the water yourself.
    Last edited by Bleach=Chlorine?; 06-12-2006 at 10:01 AM.
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    18' x 40' IG - 22K gallons
    Sylvan Gunite Pool (1979)
    Plaster re-done (1997)
    48 Sq Ft Hayward D.E. Filter (2003)
    1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump (2006)

Thanks for the help.

A few more questions...
    So, does that mean that I need to add 2.5 - 3 gallons of bleach tonight?
    Test/add bleach (as necessary) each morning/evening thereafter?
    The pump's been running 24/7 for a couple weeks.
    Is it worth buying a vacuum head/hose? Would it speed up the process?
    What effect will the additional chlorine have on the grayish/greenish dust? Will it just "go away"? Or, should I brush? If so, how often?

I guess I'm just impatient because I haven't seen clear blue water in a LONG time...

As far as test kits, I have an hth drop kit from last year. Do those things have a shlef life? Should you buy a new on each season?

Once I get this cleared up, I SWEAR to follow the 3B method...
    THANKS!!!
    bgray

First, you can *kinda* test the reagents in your current test kit by comparing results from home test to same water sample taken to a couple pool stores. Generally the reagents need to be replaced every year. A good drop based kit, especially a titration kit like Ben's or Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD will provide accurate results and the # of tests needed to manage pool from home. Second, I would buy a vacuum head and hose because it will be integral throughout the pool season. And will spead up the process if you can vacuum up all that dust. Also, I would brush the pool and try to work the sediment to the main drain if you have no vacuum for now. Third, I would add bleach each night, wait an hour or so, check the level, and add more if necessary. I would then repeat this process first thing in the morning and mid-day if possible.
    Lastly, there is a bleach calculator (it is attached to a members signature - search bleachcalc) that will help approximate the amount of bleach needed depending on ppm etc.
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    18' x 40' IG - 22K gallons
    Sylvan Gunite Pool (1979)
    Plaster re-done (1997)
    48 Sq Ft Hayward D.E. Filter (2003)
    1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump (2006)

Bleach=Chlorine?,

Thanks for your help.
    After work, I'll go shopping (again). Not at the pool store, this time...

My list:
    • A new drop test kit
    • A vacuum head/hose
    • Several gallons of unscented 6% bleach

I'll also download the bleachcalc program and check it out.
    I'll try to test/adjust in the morning and evening.
    Mid-day is kinda tough, since I have to work to pay for all the "Pool stuff" I've been sold over the past few weeks...
    (lesson learned)
    Will post results. Thanks again!
    bgray

I feel your pain. Just went through the same experience, bought vacuum equipment, had the pool store test the water and sell me stuff.

"Honey, the water is still turning greener and greener..."

Since we just bought the house and I didn't know any of the history of what went into the pool prior to our arriving on the scene, I decided a complete drain down and refill would be best to get me back to a known condition. Clear blue and -way- easier to deal with now. It will cost us about $80 for the 15,000 gallons of new water but you'll spend that chasing the thing with chemicals.

TW

PS: The old control plate in the skimmer was cracked, so I bought a new one with a new rubber stopper -that had a hole drilled through it- for the little piece of rope to keep it tied to the plate. Yeah, that worked. Not.

This was one of those times when a bottom drain came in real handy. The little 1/6 HP sump pump I also bought would haven taken weeks to empty the pool, but it did water the grass well.

OK, this evening's test results, using hth 5-way kit:
    tc=1
    pH=7.2
    TA=110
    CYA=80

I hooked up a vacuum hose to skimmer and went for the deep end. Bad idea...
    I cannot vacuum to waste w/ my cartridge filter, so... I loaded up my filter with slimy green algae.

I cleaned it with hose nozzle (as well as I could before dark) and then added 5.4375 gallons of 6% bleach. Bleach calc indicated this would result in a PPM increase of 11.7

I think I'm gonna need a LOT of bleach.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by bgray
    CYA=80

I think I'm gonna need a LOT of bleach.
    Yep! You are! With a cya of 80 you'll have to shock your chlorine level up to 20 and try and hold it there to kill the algae. See the chart at the following link.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=365

test results as of 5:30 a.m. today:
    TC 1.5
    pH 7.2
    TA 120
    CYA 90

I realized that I had tri-chlor pucks in my chlorinator...duh. Turned it off.
    I also found that there is now a proliferation of small soap bubbles on the surface of the pool. I believe that would be the result of me using some Simple Green to help clean my mucked-up filters last night from the unfortunate "vacuum incident." I guess I didn't rinse them as thoroughly as I usually do.

Nevertheless, this morning I added about 8.8 gallons of bleach per Bleachcalc and Watermom's CYA reminder (thanks...). Brushing continues to stir up green clouds.

If I continue to test/brush/chlorinate in a.m. and p.m., howlong should I expect before the water begins to clear up. My wife is ready to (a) kill me and (b) call a pool service company.

Thanks for all the help!
    bgray

duraleigh Guest

Hi, bgray,

You're getting good advice...keep the Cl up there..that'll speed up your process.

My clearing took about five days keeping my Cl high the entire time. If you let it slip back from time to time, it'll take longer.

Sorry about the death threats....if you only get wounded, don't let her call the service company for a few more days.

+ Reply to Thread