+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bad bearings or something else

Default Bad bearings or something else

Pump is about 4 years hold, and this is the sound it makes, which it has been making for about 4 years now and my neighbor just told me it doesn't sound right.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6l3cpxdclr...71539.mp4?dl=0

It's an Emerson 1HP... bearings? Can parts be found for these or do I need to replace the entire motor?

Thanks

Default Re: Bad bearings or something else

Hmmm. Not a mechanic here. Do I see lots of bubbles in your pump basket? Are they always there? Impeller comes to mind.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

an impeller would make that noise?

bubbles are always there, been like that for 10 years.

Not sure about the impeller but it doesn't sound right to me. Waiting for an expert to chime in here. Things are a bit slow this time of year.

You have had those bubbles for ten years? That does not look normal to me. I will see if I can get someone to help.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

The bubbles don't bother me so much. I tried tracking them down, replaced the 3 way sandy valve rings, replaced the clear top, the top o-ring and it still bubbles. It doesn't bother me.

The noise, however, is bothering my neighbors so I want to fix that issue. My gut is telling me bearings, but i never thought of the impeller. I guess I could disconnect/remove the impeller and just run the motor with it not connected and see if it's just the motor making the noise?

I really know nothing about motors! I tried to get some people to look at your questions. Hope they do!

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Sounds like bad bearings to me. You can replace them if you have the proper tools but a new motor is easier.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Thanks, Mark, for looking at this thread.

Isn't that pump cativating? I am wondering if that is shortening the life of his pump. Just a thought.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Air in the pump basket is not the same thing as cavitation. Cavitation can only be heard and not seen because the vapor bubbles occur only at the inlet to the impeller and collapse in the impeller so they cannot be seen. Plus it is actually quite hard to cavitate a residential pool pump.

The sound is more like metal rubbing which would occur in the motor bearings and possibly the impeller ring.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Thanks for the explanation. Really glad you looked at this. Do you think vchavez needs to worry further about those bubbles?

+ Reply to Thread