+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can I run Pentair Pump without cartridge filter?

Default Can I run Pentair Pump without cartridge filter?

I have a huge algae bloom that I need to kill and clear out. This is a 25,000 gallon in ground pool and Pentair 4 cartridge filter. I cleaned the filter twice today and was able to have an efficient pump for only about 15-20 minutes before it completely clogged up and needs to be cleaned again.

Can I just remove the filters and run without them while I circulate the chemicals to kill the algae?

A follow-up... Has anyone tried attaching a hose to one of the outlets of the cartridge tub so that I could vacuum the pool to waste?

Default Re: Can I run Pentair Pump without cartridge filter?

Sorry you haven't gotten an answer from someone yet! I am not an expert on algae blooms, thank heavens, but you should be able to run your pump without the I am concerned that your filters keep clogging. What is it clogging with?

As for your other question, I can't help.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by nomar116 View Post
    Can I just remove the filters and run without them while I circulate the chemicals to kill the algae?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by nomar116 View Post
    A follow-up... Has anyone tried attaching a hose to one of the outlets of the cartridge tub so that I could vacuum the pool to waste?
    I haven't myself but I know of someone who has done that so I know it can be done. How effective it may be is another issue. I think it would be better to have a three way valve between the pump and filter so you can direct all the flow to waste.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

I think a three way valve might be worth adding.

The filter is clogging with live algae I assume. When I pull it out and wash it off the water is almost completely green. I was leaving for a two week vacation and needed advice.

I pulled the filters out and ran the pump, everything worked just fine. The pump is now running while we are away sans filter and I will have to deal with it when we return. It has become quite the frustrating mess unfortunately.

Don't spend all your cash while on vacation... Sounds like you need to buy a bunch of chlorine when you get back!

Have a great time on your trip! Give a holler if you need help when you return.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread