+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: help...have I got a mess

tazt60968 is offline ** No working email address ** tazt60968 0

Unhappy help...have I got a mess

Last year our old liner pulled out of the top rail (we have a AG 18x38 exp doughboy) after fighting to get it fixed, we were told we had to buy a new liner, which we did this year. Now we're having problems getting the new liner in.
    We made major mistakes (hindsight 20/20) the worst I believe was taking all the top rails off.. now we can't get the top rails to line back up and on top of that, we've been told several ways to install the liner.. Is there any one out there that can give me instructions using the "installing pool liners for dummies" version

thanks
    Tazt60968

Default Re: help...have I got a mess

Hi, I would start by putting all of your rails back on. If for some reason you need to make some new holes that's OK but the rails and caps need to be on.

There is really only one way I know of to stretch an expandable liner into a deepend pool.

It will look something like the photo below. This pool does not have a deep end but it works the same way.

Dennis
    Attached Images
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

Smile Re: help...have I got a mess

Thanks Dennis.
    do we start in the middle and lap over the edges, or start on one side and work toward the other?
    By the way the pic looked, do we need to just make sure overlap is the same all around?

Hi, I would normally broom the inside of the pool and get out. Next I find an open area and stretch the liner out. It helps to get a little sun on it at this time. It is also important to locate the center seams and that run down the middle of the liner from end to end. With one person standing in the center of each end pull the liner as tight as you can. Next we fold the sides inward and bunch the liner up so it looks like a big cigar. If enough hands are available simply lift it to the pool and set it in down the length of one side. Someone should be holding each end as the rest gets dropped. Next you pull the side up and over that you are standing on. You will then work your way around one end and line the seams up so they are exactly in the center. You then do the same for the other end and pull the other side up and over. Recheck the center seams. They have to be centered running end to end. This part is critical.

Now you start pulling the liner up and over each upright. Do this until the bottom seam is about six inches down from the top all of the way around. This should have the entire liner off the pool base. Make sure you have direct sunlight and start filling. You will need to gradually release the liner at the uprights as the water pulls the liner tight. You cannot release to much however, you will need enough liner to pull up and over the wall at the deep end. Allow the liner to do some stretching on its own.

When the water is just a few inches from the edge turn the hose off and, doing just a few rails at a time, set the liner in place a reassemble the pool.

The timing for letting the liner down and turning the water off I do by instinct. It would be impossible to put it into words, but properly done you will get a wrinkle free bottom every time.

Best of luck, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

Post Re: help...have I got a mess

Thanks Dennis
    With us living in south Ga. and Alberto coming to visit I know we will have to rework the sand inside the pool. Can't wait to try your suggestions. Thanks again and we'll keep you posted on how its going...Sure you don't want to visit historic Savannah and make a little money on the side

Quote Originally Posted by hrsdennis
    Hi, I would start by putting all of your rails back on. If for some reason you need to make some new holes that's OK but the rails and caps need to be on.

There is really only one way I know of to stretch an expandable liner into a deepend pool.

It will look something like the photo below. This pool does not have a deep end but it works the same way.

Dennis

I'm very surprise to see the picture. Is that a normal way to install a liner? If I understand the picture, the liner is sitting on top of the complete pool top and water is being added? What controls the liner descending toward the bottom of the pool? Is there any danger of tearing the liner? Does someone have a link to pictorial of that procedure?

Tx

Yves

Installing a liner this way is really nothing new. It has been in the Doughboy manual for thirty plus years. The frame of the pool holds the liner very firmly in most cases. All the Doughboy pools are designed for this type of installation. They have no sharp edges. Many other pools are not. We go through a lot of duck tape, but all of the sharp edges get covered.

All of the liners I replace are done this way except ones that have decking all the way up to the top rails or pools with beaded liners.

On the new pools I install I will either build the entire pool before I install the liner or I may just use the retaining rods for support. I never trust a side wall to stand on it’s own without support. I always use the pool structure or the rods.

I have photos on this page that show a pool being installed using the retaining rods. There is not much difference. This only works with new round pools. At this point there are no side supports or uprights to get in the way. And the rods have to be interlocking for the proper support. Otherwise the entire frame gets built before the liner.

http://www.shadebuilder.com/above_gr...tallation.html

In either case the liner needs to be let down as the water fills. I do this about every ten or fifteen minutes until the water is 3-6 inches from the sidewall.
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

I'm about to install a liner on my oval also. doing it this way when do you take the top rails off and put the liner under it and put the rails back on?
    this has been a great thread thanks!

Thanks for the chance to correct a typo. This was written above some where.

"When the water is just a few inches from the edge turn the hose off and, doing just a few rails at a time, set the liner in place and reassemble the pool."

If you stop the water before it hits the edge of the pool and pull the liner snug it will very nicely stretch into place without any wrinkles or bubbles.

I never take to much of the pool apart at a time. I don't take the chance of the wind blowing it over.

Later, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

One more very important note. This method is for overlap liners only. There has already been some great advice in this forum for installing beaded liners.

I do however install beaded liners like this sometimes. I prefer to pull them over the wall and use coping and rods as opposed to a bead receiver. That's another story for another day.

Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

+ Reply to Thread