+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Robotic Cleaner Recommendation for New Pool Build

Hybrid View

Default Robotic Cleaner Recommendation for New Pool Build

Hello all,

We’re just about ready to start our pool build and I’m looking for a little help with an automatic pool cleaner. So far, I have looked into three different cleaners. All have very good reviews on various boards on the internet, and I'm hoping someone here will have experience with any of them or maybe a recommendation for another.

Our builder is recommending the Pentair Kreepy Krauly 830, but the big drawback for me is the weight, 45lbs. Can’t imagine trying to pull that out of the water with it being full. But, from what I’ve read, it’s one of the best.

The second cleaner I’ve looked into would be the Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M5. Much better in weight, 21lbs, but I’m finding it a little more difficult to locate. It compares well to the Kreepy.

The third I’m considering is the Polaris Sport 9550. Wow. Cool looking , but reviews aren’t as good as the other two. Lightest of the 3 but I’m not sure I want to worry about it “turtling” as I’ve read on a few reviews. “Turtling” meaning flipping over on it’s back. But it looks really awesome.

Two flow about 4233 gph with the Polaris a few more gallons than the others…but close enough to call it even. All claim to be able to climb and clean at the waterline and are tangle proof.

Any input would be welcome. If anyone has another recommendation, I would love that too. We’re not putting a pressure side pump in to save on cost and energy, and I’m not really thrilled with suction side cleanser as we’ve had one on a previous pool we’ve owned many moons ago.

Thank you for any comments.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Robotic Cleaner Recommendation for New Pool Build

Check out ThePoolCleaner. I own the suction side but they also make a pressure side which doesn't require much in the way of flow rate to operate so a booster is not required.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Mark: sorry to hijack... But could you take a look at this: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...470#post129470 Thanks
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Check out ThePoolCleaner. I own the suction side but they also make a pressure side which doesn't require much in the way of flow rate to operate so a booster is not required.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Mark. Reviews on ThePoolCleaner are very good. My biggest concern with this is that I don’t think we’ll be running the pump long enough to get a thorough cleaning. According to the builder, we will be running the VS pump for about an hour and a half a day. The volume of the pool is approximate 16k gals.

We haven’t pulled the trigger on a cleaner just yet so I will keep this in mind. If we do go with this cleaner, we’ll need the suction side model also as we will not be putting in a dedicated pressure side connection. The price is much nicer than the robotics I've mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybuilder View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, Mark. Reviews on ThePoolCleaner are very good. My biggest concern with this is that I don’t think we’ll be running the pump long enough to get a thorough cleaning. According to the builder, we will be running the VS pump for about an hour and a half a day. The volume of the pool is approximate 16k gals.

We haven’t pulled the trigger on a cleaner just yet so I will keep this in mind. If we do go with this cleaner, we’ll need the suction side model also as we will not be putting in a dedicated pressure side connection. The price is much nicer than the robotics I've mentioned.
    1.5 hr run time seems awfully short to keep the pool clean.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

I was thinking the same thing!

Mark's the pump run-time guy for sure so hopefully he will confirm.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

There are people that run shorter than that so it isn't impossible. You can read the run time study in my signature and they found that there was no improvement in water quality beyond 2 hours of run time. Going beyond that is mostly about skimming and bottom cleaning with a cleaner that dictates run time and even that isn't necessary since that is mostly aesthetics.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Quote Originally Posted by JimK View Post
    1.5 hr run time seems awfully short to keep the pool clean.
    Sorry everyone. That was the suggestion for the run time of a robotic cleaner from the builder. In review of his quote, the run time for our pool will be approximately 3 hours. My bad. The brain is still on holiday mode apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybuilder View Post
    Sorry everyone. That was the suggestion for the run time of a robotic cleaner from the builder. In review of his quote, the run time for our pool will be approximately 3 hours. My bad. The brain is still on holiday mode apparently.
    Ah......thanks for the clarification.

Sorry I don't have any feedback for you on robotic cleaners. I have no experience with those.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

+ Reply to Thread