+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Robotic Cleaner Recommendation for New Pool Build

Default Re: Robotic Cleaner Recommendation for New Pool Build

Quote Originally Posted by Toybuilder View Post
    We've started! Woohoo! Here's a link to the photo post.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...536#post129536
    Yea!

Did you decide on a cleaner?

I'm looking forward to see more pics as it progresses.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Quote Originally Posted by JimK View Post
    Yea!

Did you decide on a cleaner?

I'm looking forward to see more pics as it progresses.
    Unfortunately, no.

Now I've added the Tiger Shark RC9955GR into the mix. Who knew this would be so hard. These are not cheap and I don't want to get something that won't do the job. Everyone has some kind of complaint. But then, they all have great reviews. Ugh. I have about 3 months to decide, but I know it's going to come down to flipping a coin.

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

May I suggest cleaning your pool manually, that way it's quicker and you won't miss bits and that saves on the cost of a robot and the extra electricity to run it. Pool Blaster Max with the extra fine bag in it will do the job in the quickest time by virtue of no hoses etc to get out/put away again.
    Unfortunately people disagree about what really works in a pool but running the pump on low speed 24/7 means leaves that hit the surface are deposited in the skimmer before they get waterlogged and sink (that's why you need a robot) the downside of this technique is you have to empty your skimmer more frequently. I sold my robot 3 season ago as it wasn't needed, was too slow to clean the whole pool and missed bits.

If you can't resist the urge to spend on a robot buy one with remote steering then you can guide it to the spots it misses. Any one who actually believes these things learn your pool is deluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot View Post
    May I suggest cleaning your pool manually, that way it's quicker and you won't miss bits and that saves on the cost of a robot and the extra electricity to run it. Pool Blaster Max with the extra fine bag in it will do the job in the quickest time by virtue of no hoses etc to get out/put away again.
    Unfortunately people disagree about what really works in a pool but running the pump on low speed 24/7 means leaves that hit the surface are deposited in the skimmer before they get waterlogged and sink (that's why you need a robot) the downside of this technique is you have to empty your skimmer more frequently. I sold my robot 3 season ago as it wasn't needed, was too slow to clean the whole pool and missed bits.

If you can't resist the urge to spend on a robot buy one with remote steering then you can guide it to the spots it misses. Any one who actually believes these things learn your pool is deluded.
    Thanks for the suggestion Teapot. But with everyone’s hectic schedule, we’re getting a robotic cleaner purely out of convenience. If I could be out there every day or every other day, believe me, I would. I find it very relaxing and satisfying when I cleaned our old pool manually. I just don’t have the time like I used to.

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

Hi Toybuilder, I completely understand, let me explain some more.
    Karen our pool cleaner and veteran of many house cleans is like everyone else short on time but has high standards for her work. We bought a pool robot to assist Karen, however she reported to us that the time used to connect the power pay out the lead and set the bot in motion whilst she goes off to another job is the same as the hose of the manual cleaner. about 4 hours later she returns to un plug the robot which then needs to cool down for 10 minutes in the water before removing and then clean out the bag put on the caddy cart and store is just the same amount as the manual hose but the bot has still missed bits after 4 hours so manual intervention was still needed. Robot was sold!

I run my pool pump 24/7 so anything that enters the pool and floats goes in the skimmers except for dirt following rain storms as that sinks. Because of the return jet arrangement the dirt doesn't sink immediately but usually moves into solution and can also get filtered that which doesn't is vacuumed out with the Pool Blaster Max with the fine bag fitted. this little battery powered cleaner is a great tool and cleaning is around 40 minutes total. No cables, no power supplies, no hoses. For us at least the quickest way from start to finish. If I were to have a criticism of the pool blaster it would be on a larger pool the battery life is not enough and if it's a really dirty pool a manual vac will cope better.

Well, I'm now looking at the Dolphin Oasis Z5 and it's counterpart the Supreme M5. From what I've been able to gather, they're similar to each other. The difference being the M5 has a third bottom brush and the Z5 only has 2. I've read that the remotes are slightly different also. Can a third brush be worth the added expense, about $300 more?

Also, the M5 is only sold in stores ad the Z5 is sold online. Not sure why Maytronics does that.

I'm planning on visiting a local pool store this weekend to see an M5 in person and ask questions. Hopefully, I'll get some good answers and not get suckered.

Well, I'm now looking at the Dolphin Oasis Z5 and it's counterpart the Supreme M5. From what I've been able to gather, they're similar to each other. The difference being the M5 has a third bottom brush and the Z5 only has 2. I've read that the remotes are slightly different also. Can a third brush be worth the added expense, about $300 more?

Also, the M5 is only sold in stores ad the Z5 is sold online. Not sure why Maytronics does that.

I'm planning on visiting a local pool store this weekend to see an M5 in person and ask questions. Hopefully, I'll get some good answers and not get suckered.
    Back from our “adventure” of visiting a couple of pool stores, and I’m reminded of how pushy they can be.

According to them, the M5 with the 3rd brush is “much better” since the Z5 only has 2, which, I guess makes sense. The remote is exactly the same, as far as I can tell, from doing my own research as the stores had no clue what came with the Z5. I am going to email Maytronics with the remote question to confirm.

What I thought was interesting was one store pointed out that purchasing the cleaner online would void the warranty. Then he pointed to the (M5) box that has a label on it stating that, and had a great big grin on his face. I guess he just didn’t understand that the Z5 was sold online only and not in stores, and the warranty of 3 years will be honored. Then he went into a big speech about how he’s been in the pool business for a million years and that we only need to run our pump for blah, blah, blah, length of time (without even asking about the size of pool we were building), and that suction side cleaners may be better. I cut him off as quickly as I could, and we politely made our exit. Before we left, he wrote his name on a business card and put his title below it, “GM”. Said to come back when we’re ready and he can get us a great deal…which was about $400 more than the first store we visited.

So, from what I have gathered, the only difference is the number of brushes. Everything else is the same even the price, according to one store. I had my wife pick up the robot, and she did it with little effort.

Bottom line – We’re probably going with the M5 if it truly is the same price as the Z5. We’ll just have to pay tax.

Back from our “adventure” of visiting a couple of pool stores, and I’m reminded of how pushy they can be.

According to them, the M5 with the 3rd brush is “much better” since the Z5 only has 2, which, I guess makes sense. The remote is exactly the same, as far as I can tell, from doing my own research as the stores had no clue what came with the Z5. I am going to email Maytronics with the remote question to confirm.

What I thought was interesting was one store pointed out that purchasing the cleaner online would void the warranty. Then he pointed to the (M5) box that has a label on it stating that, and had a great big grin on his face. I guess he just didn’t understand that the Z5 was sold online only and not in stores, and the warranty of 3 years will be honored. Then he went into a big speech about how he’s been in the pool business for a million years and that we only need to run our pump for blah, blah, blah, length of time (without even asking about the size of pool we were building), and that suction side cleaners may be better. I cut him off as quickly as I could, and we politely made our exit. Before we left, he wrote his name on a business card and put his title below it, “GM”. Said to come back when we’re ready and he can get us a great deal…which was about $400 more than the first store we visited.

So, from what I have gathered, the only difference is the number of brushes. Everything else is the same even the price, according to one store. I had my wife pick up the robot, and she did it with little effort.

Bottom line – We’re probably going with the M5 if it truly is the same price as the Z5. We’ll just have to pay tax.
    Looks like the Z5 is $1200. How much are they quoting for the M5?

http://epicpoolsupply.com/dolphin-oa...ol-cleaner.php
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Quote Originally Posted by JimK View Post
    Looks like the Z5 is $1200. How much are they quoting for the M5?

http://epicpoolsupply.com/dolphin-oa...ol-cleaner.php
    The quote from the first store was $1199, but she said a $100 rebate will be coming out the first of April so it'll only be $1099. The "GM" quoted $1599 but was willing to give us a "deal" at $1499. No mention of a rebate.

If you do purchase the Z5 from Epic I put in a coupon code, dolphin100, that knocked the price down another $50. I think it still works as I tried it a couple of nights ago.

Pulled the trigger on the robotic cleaner today. The price was exactly as quoted and Maytronics is offering a $100 rebate. Now I just need the pool to be finished so I can take it for a test run...after the plaster cures.

36'x20' Freeform, IG - 13k gal, Spa - 800 gal, Diamond Brite, Intelliflo VS pump, TR-140C sand filter, Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 2HP Whisperflo pump (waterfall), Pool Pilot Digital RC-42 SWCG, K-2006 Test Kit

+ Reply to Thread