+ Reply to Thread

Thread: white mold in hot tub

Default white mold in hot tub

We hadn't used our salt water hot tub by hot springs hot tub for over 2 months. Water had been replaced last time and balanced. Just went to use it and I had white mold in my hot tub. I shocked it with swcg did nothing, I dumped all the water, scrubbed it down, sprayed every crack with bleach. Refilled it and of course it came back the minute jets came on as it must have been stuck in the pipes. I just put a gallon of bleach in, and let it run 20 hours and don't see any of the crap floating around any more. I openned and closed all valves while running the water. The chlorine levels are off the charts.... my bad.

Reading other forums said to use spa system flush, replace filters, shock, etc. Do I need to buy spa system flush or is their a cheaper alternative, or can I just cut my chlorine levels by adding peroxide back to normal and get all the rest in balance since I don't see much of the crap any more? do I have to replace my filters?

I don't want this crap coming back. I've owned a spa for 8 years and never had this. I think possibly my door to my filter isn't dropping and water isn't circulating when spa isn't in use. Not sure but once I get it in check I will be diligent about keeping water balanced and seeing if anything else is wrong.

My filters are 4 years old. uses salt system normally. has always been easy till now.

Thanks for the help on what to do next.

Update..... I was wrong there are still small skin like white things in there. Just a small amount. What next?
    Last edited by wishIcould; 11-24-2014 at 08:39 AM.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Default Re: white mold in hot tub

If you want to use a purge product, the best to get is Ahh-Some which is much better than Spa System Flush or Swirl Away or other products.

Even if a super-chlorination got rid of the white water mold (which in this case it didn't -- at least not completely), the flush product is useful anyway just to get rid of any greases or biofilm that may build up over time, especially if you aren't extremely diligent about maintaining chlorine levels.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

I flushed it. I had just bought Ahh-Some at Leslies. Wasn't sure if it was right thing. Didn't really see any thing clean out from the jets at all after I used it. Still looks the same so i guess I had gotten it out of the piping. Now I have to rinse tub and refill and pray it works this time. We are in middle of a NorEaster. How long can I let that Ahh some sit on walls after I dumped the water?

Thanks.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

I'd follow the instructions provided with the Ahh-Some. It's not an acid or anything like that -- just powerful surfactants (soap-like substances) that dislodge/dissolve grease and biofilm so they can be removed by water replacement. So leaving it in the spa should not cause harm, but again I'd just follow the instructions.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

It worked.. did get it back slightly though so I did have to shock it for a week.... thanks.

+ Reply to Thread