+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resurfacing Gunite Pool - Don't worry about the water?

Default Resurfacing Gunite Pool - Don't worry about the water?

Hello,

Few questions for everyone:

1) I'm working on getting my old gunite pool resurfaced. It's pretty badly etched and there is no way to compeltely remove the algae at this point. I'm wondering if I need to worry about trying to kill/keep the water clear or if I can just let it go before the resurfacing is done?

2) Also, the drain at the bottom of the pool doesn't appear to be working. Is that a problem that should be repaired or not really a big deal?

3) On person I talked to said he would rip up all the concrete around the pool (it's cracking and leaking water through and around the side of the pool) and redo that to protect the pool - necessary?

4) I've got old copper 2.5" pipe - should that also be re-worked to 3" pvc or similar? That was the suggestion I got.

5) Is it necessary to re-do the coping? The pool is about 50 years old at this point and I'm not sure if anyone has every done much too it...

Any other thoughts/opinions, etc. would be appreciated. I'm looking at costs and it seems like it's going to be about 6500 to replaster and retile without doing anything else, compared to 15-20k+ to redo plumbing, concrete, coping, plaster, tile, etc.

I don't care if the pool isn't "brand new" but I also don't want to skimp when things really should be done. I'll figure the money out if I have to to protect the investment and improve the property value/enjoyment.

Default Re: Resurfacing Gunite Pool - Don't worry about the water?

Sounds like a pretty big project to me. Point 2: How are the skimmers? Point 3 sounds like an issue you should address. Hopefully someone with experience in this area will chime in. Good luck
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Resurfacing Gunite Pool - Don't worry about the water?

1) Since they usually remove the old plaster, I think it is ok to leave it. They will probably power wash anyway.

2) Not a big deal: http://www.poolinspections.com/manua...out-drains.pdf

3) You could probably seal the cracks but it depends on how large they are.

4) I would suggest changing to PVC but the size depends on the applications. In most cases, you shouldn't need more than 2.5" unless it is a high volume spa (> 6 jets).

5) Depends on the condition
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

+ Reply to Thread