+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advise on good solar reel. Heavy Duty.

Aranon is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Aranon 0

Default Advise on good solar reel. Heavy Duty.

I have a 18 x 40 oval above ground with a bubble solar cover thats heavy. After three days of unrolling it up and out by hand, I realize I need a solar reel. But which one. I want to mount it permanently on to the fence which is about 4 feet from the oval end.

But I want a heavy duty one with SS bearings that won't go out. I want one where one person can roll it up and grab a strap and pull it over the pool by themselves.

Surely you all use them. From the ads you can't tell what the bearings are made off. I have heard horror stories of plastic bearings and hard to turn. I seen Rocky's reels but don't want to spend that much. Who has experience with a good heavy duty reel for around $200 or less. Please advise. Thanks
    Aranon

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Default Re: Advise on good solar reel. Heavy Duty.

My husband made ours - 20' steel pipe, ssbearings, welded on steel pipes into concrete in the ground and a nice heavy crank handle. One person can crank it from the end, but always better with an extra person to guide the blanket and keep it from hanging up under the top caps and rails. It is about 2-3' off the end of the pool.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

I thought about making ours, but wanted Aluminum Pipe which I think might cost as much as the reel. Surely someone knows where to get a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by NWMNMom
    My husband made ours - 20' steel pipe, ssbearings, welded on steel pipes into concrete in the ground and a nice heavy crank handle. One person can crank it from the end, but always better with an extra person to guide the blanket and keep it from hanging up under the top caps and rails. It is about 2-3' off the end of the pool.
    Seeing as how my brother is a welder, can you post a pic of it for me to show him?

I'll get some pix tomorrow. Modification made this afternoon to reel - 10'x3" pvc added to the center - washers welded at center and evenly at sides to mount/hold pvc - this was added to reduce the revolutions required to reel it up - Final reeled up blanket is "fatter" on the reel but then my arm isn't sore from cranking a dozen times to get the straps reeled in before the blanket!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

I even thought of making one with an old ten speed or 5 speed bycycle gears so you could pick which ratio you wanted to reel it up. Example turn just a couple of turns of the crank which would turn the reel several times. or if got hard change gears and make it easier to turn the crank but less revolutions. Or just hook it up so it turns several revolutions but easy to turn. Oh the possibilites of gears. lol. But would take some time to build.

Aranon

Quote Originally Posted by NWMNMom
    I'll get some pix tomorrow. Modification made this afternoon to reel - 10'x3" pvc added to the center - washers welded at center and evenly at sides to mount/hold pvc - this was added to reduce the revolutions required to reel it up - Final reeled up blanket is "fatter" on the reel but then my arm isn't sore from cranking a dozen times to get the straps reeled in before the blanket!
    Maybe a parts list of what you used to make this? A quick write up would be nice for us do it yourselfers.

Could you get some detailed pics?

Anyone have any pics or suggest a heavy duty solar reel that will last. Maybe a brand and model number. Please.

I have pix but can't post anymore here due to limits. I need to register with Photobucket or something so I can set a link...We are VERY happy with the reel he built, it worked just as it should yesterday when we got home from work and wanted a swim, reeled right up and pulled back out very nice when we were done.

YES its heavy and big, but then we aren't moving it anytime soon. Its not fancy or slick looking like the ones you buy, its very simple and the PVC pipe in the center is the only plastic, its there to bulk up/support the center, doesn't move so won't be breaking or bending. I suppose total cost was under $40-50 with the steel/iron pipes and Quickcrete being the highest items. Elbow grease has its own cost, but well worth it.

It looks pretty tidy back out of the way too - like I said before though, maybe 1-1.5' higher may have been nicer for preventing catching under rails - flipping/folding each of sides in 6-10" before reeling solves that.

+ Reply to Thread