+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PS200 Chlorine Chart - Am I color blind?!

Question PS200 Chlorine Chart - Am I color blind?!

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem. When I look at the Cl side of the Cl / pH tester in the PS200 kit, the 2, 3 and 5 levels all look the same shade and intensity of yellow. This is happening both in daylight and indoors, with the tester 2 inches from the white background of the PS200 case, or any other white background. If I look through the tester directly towards a light I can distinguish a slight difference between 3 and 5, but 2 and 3 still look the same. I've never tested positive for colorblindness but there's a first time for everything! Does anyone else have trouble distinguishing 2, 3 and 5 on the chart?

Thanks,
    Steve

VOLDADDY is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher VOLDADDY 1 star

Default Re: PS200 Chlorine Chart - Am I color blind?!

I always have trouble with the colors and I have no problems with my eyes. It is very subjective. I will look at it and see 1 shade, then I have my wife look at it and she will see another one. Of course she is always right...LOL. I stopped testing my FC with the colors and simply use the DPD powder. That way there is no doubt as to what the actual reading is.

tundraSQ is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst tundraSQ 0

I only use the color test to check PH, and verify that I have 2+ ppm of TC in the pool...once it drops into the 2/3 range I add a gallon of bleach..I do this test almost every day...and then run the drop test for CC on saturday morning.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

most men have more trouble distinguishing colors on the comparator block than women do. Don't know the reason but it's been documented. I have also read that with practice that men can learn to differentiate between the slight shade differences on the comparator, especially if they have a woman look at the block also and compare notes, so to speak. I know this isn't much help but you might want to test with the FAS-DPD for TC which will give you a definite endpoint so there is no question and then with OTO so you can learn what the results are supposed to look like.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thanks all. Glad to see it's not just me! I'll probably just continue what I'm doing then- test weekly with the FAS-DPD and occasionally in between with the PS200. I have an Aquarite, so I'm usually just making sure I have a decent Cl and pH reading every couple of days. It seems to stay pretty constant with the Cl, and the pH climbs gradually as expected between the muriatic acid doses.

Thanks,
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread