+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Salt Water Chlorine Generator for New Pool Build

Default Salt Water Chlorine Generator for New Pool Build

Hi Folks,

Getting ready to start our new pool soon and we’re looking for information and suggestions on a SWCG. At the moment, we’re considering a Hayward Goldline but will entertain other ideas like the Autopilot. Is there a certain size/rating/output I should be looking for? Have never dealt with a SWCG before.

Our first pool didn’t have a SWCG. We basically poured in the chlorine and used pucks (don’t want to use pucks anymore). We’re getting the salt water chlorinator for peace of mind since there are times I’m unable to check because of work or when we take vacations.

Our pool will be freeform, approximately 16k gallon with an attached 8’ diameter spa holding about 850 gallons.

Our builder included the Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 in the original bid, but we scratched that from the list since it seems to be problematic.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!

Default Re: Salt Water Chlorine Generator for New Pool Build

Currently comparing the Hayward AquaRite (AQR15) to the TurboCell (T-Cell-15). Anyone know what the difference is? Performance? Reliability? The product descriptions read almost exactly the same.

The only difference I can see is the price which the T-Cell is about half the price of the AQR15.

This is confusing.

I just posted this in your filter thread and realized I should post it here:

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    Thanks. No thanks. Yes. While PoolSean is the best on it, I think 50% to 100% greater than your pool's size (16k) is more than enough. With some, like mine, you can mix and match controllers and cells to get the ideal setup. If I were to decide to, I could put a bigger capacity cell in my manifold and just re-set the controller to run it. This unit can also act as the pump's timer, and, I believe, select between high and low speeds, but I didn't mess with what was working fine. It can even run an acid injection pump, too. May also brew the morning coffee, but I have not gone that route yet....
    Like yours, the Aqua Rite has different cell size options that can be used with the same control unit. I believe the three options are 15k gal, 25k gal, and 40k gal.

IMO, while the 25k gal size would probably work fine for a 16k gal pool (though I don't know how the spa impacts this) the 40k gal size cell would offer the best value as it would last the longest.

Toy builder, though I only have first hand experience with the Aqua Rite, I'd have no problem recommending either brand based on what I've read.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Quote Originally Posted by JimK View Post
    I just posted this in your filter thread and realized I should post it here:

Like yours, the Aqua Rite has different cell size options that can be used with the same control unit. I believe the three options are 15k gal, 25k gal, and 40k gal.

IMO, while the 25k gal size would probably work fine for a 16k gal pool (though I don't know how the spa impacts this) the 40k gal size cell would offer the best value as it would last the longest.

Toy builder, though I only have first hand experience with the Aqua Rite, I'd have no problem recommending either brand based on what I've read.
    Thanks JimK. Do you know the difference between the AquaRite and T-Cell? Seem to me like they're the same thing. Also, they have another AquaRite model that plugs into a standard (GFCI) plug. No hardwiring required. This must be something new since I can't seem to find any reviews on it.

I think we're going to go with the 40k model...from someone. Heck, already have the largest sand filter available why not go with the largest SWCG available.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybuilder View Post
    Currently comparing the Hayward AquaRite (AQR15) to the TurboCell (T-Cell-15). Anyone know what the difference is? Performance? Reliability? The product descriptions read almost exactly the same.

The only difference I can see is the price which the T-Cell is about half the price of the AQR15.

This is confusing.
    There are essentially two parts to the system, the control unit and the cell. Unless it has changed (you might check with Hayward), the control unit for the three options, AQR15, AQR9, and AQR3 is the same. The difference is which cell comes with the unit;

AQR15 comes with the T-Cell 15, rated for 40k gal
    AQR9 comes with the T-Cell 9, rated for 25k gal
    AQR3 comes with the T-Cell 3, rated for 15k gal

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/lit...LITAQRBR13.pdf

I hope this helps.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Ok, now I feel stupid. I get it. No wonder there was a price difference. Thank JimK for setting me straight.

On to reseach Autopilot.

Thanks JimK. Do you know the difference between the AquaRite and T-Cell? Seem to me like they're the same thing. Also, they have another AquaRite model that plugs into a standard (GFCI) plug. No hardwiring required. This must be something new since I can't seem to find any reviews on it.

I think we're going to go with the 40k model...from someone. Heck, already have the largest sand filter available why not go with the largest SWCG available.
    Yeah, it looks like the AQR15-120 is a new model.

I also just noticed they list an extended life cell (T-Cell 15LL). Hmmm...that must be new as well.....can't find any other info on it other than what's on the Hayward spec sheet. I wonder if it is compatible with my control unit. A longer life cell could mean lower cost in the long run.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Autopilots can combine different controllers and cells, not necessarily a package. My thinking on that is look to get the controller that not only does everything you need it to do now, but will do everything you can imagine needing it to do in the future, then matching it with the cell you need/should have now ("now" being the next 5 years).
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    Autopilots can combine different controllers and cells, not necessarily a package. My thinking on that is look to get the controller that not only does everything you need it to do now, but will do everything you can imagine needing it to do in the future, then matching it with the cell you need/should have now ("now" being the next 5 years).
    Can you elaborate a little on the controller and what you mean by "a package". I've been on the the Autopilot website for about an hour now trying to figure out what I will need for our setup. By controller do you mean the Pool Pilot Digital? Do you have to have that? Seem like the manifoold is a separate item you need to puchase. Can you just use the manifold?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Can you elaborate a little on the controller and what you mean by "a package". I've been on the the Autopilot website for about an hour now trying to figure out what I will need for our setup. By controller do you mean the Pool Pilot Digital? Do you have to have that? Seem like the manifoold is a separate item you need to puchase. Can you just use the manifold?
    You really need to talk to an expert on this. The Controller is the power supply and programming box. Auto Pilot makes more than one. The manifold is simply (in short) plumbing to hold the salt cell and must have a PS and controller. I have the 75003 controller. There are others.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread