+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Salt Water Chlorine Generator for New Pool Build

Default Re: Salt Water Chlorine Generator for New Pool Build

You got us beat on the sob-stories on this one, Carl!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by formerbromineuser View Post
    you got us beat on the sob-stories on this one, carl!
    Carl

Made any decisions?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    You really need to talk to an expert on this. The Controller is the power supply and programming box. Auto Pilot makes more than one. The manifold is simply (in short) plumbing to hold the salt cell and must have a PS and controller. I have the 75003 controller. There are others.
    Well, I’m pretty disappointed in Hayward’s customer service. I contacted their customer support this morning hoping to get a comparison from their side between the AquaRite and the AutoPilot as Poolsean had done.

The rep told me to contact my local retailer which I did using their “finder” on their website. I wasn't satisfied with the locals answers, so I emailed him back to ask for a reputable online dealer or a sales rep that would know the ins and outs of the AquaRite. The reply I got was insulting. He emailed back with a link to the “finder”. I wanted to send back a reply telling him that I went with the AutoPilot because of his lack of service.

Unfortunately, I think we’ll be going with the AquaRite. Not that I think the Hayward is an bad product, I'm just not happy with their service. However, if in 4 maybe 5 years and the cell dies, can I re-plumb to fit the AutoPilot? Would the wiring be any different? Do I know what I’m talking about? No. But, I’m hoping you or maybe CarlD would?

Quote Originally Posted by Toybuilder View Post
    Well, I’m pretty disappointed in Hayward’s customer service. I contacted their customer support this morning hoping to get a comparison from their side between the AquaRite and the AutoPilot as Poolsean had done.

The rep told me to contact my local retailer which I did using their “finder” on their website. I wasn't satisfied with the locals answers, so I emailed him back to ask for a reputable online dealer or a sales rep that would know the ins and outs of the AquaRite. The reply I got was insulting. He emailed back with a link to the “finder”. I wanted to send back a reply telling him that I went with the AutoPilot because of his lack of service.

Unfortunately, I think we’ll be going with the AquaRite. Not that I think the Hayward is an bad product, I'm just not happy with their service. However, if in 4 maybe 5 years and the cell dies, can I re-plumb to fit the AutoPilot? Would the wiring be any different? Do I know what I’m talking about? No. But, I’m hoping you or maybe CarlD would?
    I believe you said you were going with the Pentair IntelliTouch control panel. The IntelliTouch can be wired to run the AutoPilot if you decided to switch to AutoPilot. The IntelliTouch is fairly versatile as it can interface with lots of SWG cells. The pin-outs for wiring the various cells is in the IntelliTouch Installation manual.

As for plumbing modification, not totally sure on that front. You'd have to download the different installation manuals for each cell you're considering and take a look at the various plumbing diagrams to know how much clearance you need for each. Some have specific requirements, for example, the Pentair IC40 says it requires a minimum of a 12-in straight run of pipe BEFORE the cell so that the flow sensor is not thrown off by turbulence from a pipe bend. Whether or not that is absolutely true is a bit debatable, but if the installation manual says it, then it's probably best to follow what they ask for unless your equipment pad is too crowded to comply.

I feel for you! When we were going through our pool build, my PB liked to use all Pentair equipment but I asked him for information on other suppliers and products. He complied and gave me his pro's/con's list for each and what he liked and disliked and then I spent a good solid week's worth of late nights trying to sift through all the literature online. I eventually went all Pentair because I really couldn't parse all the nuances (and I was not a PF member at the time) and my PB is a good guy so I trusted his instinct and preference. So far, my equipment has been running just fine. I hope your search goes well!
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

Quote Originally Posted by Toybuilder View Post

Given your experience with Hayward's customer service I'm surprised you're still going with the Aqua Rite. Is it just a question of price?

It would be pretty expensive to go with the Aqua Rite then switch to the Autopilot in a few years. I'd go with the one you're more comfortable with from the start, even if it cost a bit more up front.

In my case I didn't do any research comparing the two. I went with a pool builder I liked best, who happened to include the Aqua Rite instead of the Autopilot.

I have contacted tech support a couple times and was happy with the service, but that was some years ago. I'm not sure if that was when Aqua Rite was under Goldline or Hayward.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Quote Originally Posted by JimK View Post
    Given your experience with Hayward's customer service I'm surprised you're still going with the Aqua Rite. Is it just a question of price?

It would be pretty expensive to go with the Aqua Rite then switch to the Autopilot in a few years. I'd go with the one you're more comfortable with from the start, even if it cost a bit more up front.
    Seems to me that you have made some pretty good points here, Jim.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I agree that switching down the road will be expensive. As for wiring and plumbing, unless you have a really cramped space, it should be the least of your issues. My Autopilot is set to run on a 220v circuit with a heavy 240v twist-lock plug identical to what I have for the pump. A new SWCG would just need to plug into that. The plumbing? It's simple Schedule 40 PVC cut-and-glue work. If you've never done PVC work it may seem intimidating, but it's easy.

I'm surprised at the response you got from Hayward tech support, though they might not have liked being compared to Autopilot. I never get that. Why wouldn't a seller want the chance to show how their product is a better purchase than the competitor's? However, the Hayward is sold all over so someone should be able to help. I'd call the various online pool dealers, too. Most should carry it. Here, in NJ, just about every dealer sells them, but we have a lot of pool dealers.
    Carl

Well, I guess I haven’t really made up my mind yet. To tell the truth, it’s now a combination of things. One is the price, about $500 more. CFO Wifey is having an issue already. Two, the builder is more familiar with the Hayward as he used to install those before the Intellichlor, and lastly, I’m not sure we need something this “upscale” just for peace of mind. Guess that would be 4 things if you include my wife.

I’ll continue to do a little research. We haven’t come to a point where a decision has to be made yet, contract is still on hold.

Sometimes it's best to go with what your trusted pro knows. And, of course, the CFO's judgement is critical to any firm.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread