+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New user - pump seal question

Default New user - pump seal question

My hot tub was leaking from the wet side where the pump seal goes. I removed the pump and replaced the seal with a new one. After reinstalling everything there is still a very small drip coming from the seal. I'm trying to decide whether that small leak should be fixed or not. Should I order a new seal and attempt again. Should I reseat the seal and make double sure it's clean. Should I leave it alone and let it drip. Idk. Help please! It's a Watkins wavemaster 7000 version 3 pump.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New user - pump seal question

If you can, I'd wait a bit . . . but do NOT allow a damaging drip to continue.

If it's a problem with the seal moving surfaces, it will likely get worse. But if it's a non-moving leak around the motor shaft or where the ceramic is seated into the pump body . . . it may NOT get worse, and it may even get plugged with dirt and debris.

If / when you reinstall, you might want to polish the motor shaft with steel wool, as well as being extra careful to avoid any debris on the shaft or in the seal socket.

Well I polished up the shaft before I installed the first time around. There is some metal flaking off the shaft though that concerns me. It was rusty, and I dremeled it with a metal polisher until it cleaned up. I figured the shaft was enclosed inside of the impeller shaft so any flaking wouldn't damage the seal. The leak happens about 1 drop every 30 seconds when the pump is off. When the pump turns on the frequency of the drips increases to about 1 drop every couple of seconds (maybe 5 seconds). It's kind of a pain to drain the hot tub, and then pull the pump just to readjust the current seal that is brand new and see the same leak. I figured another 15$ for a new seal would be worth it just to be sure the second time around its done right. If the shaft flaking is an issue then does that mean that this pump is just about shot and a drip is about the best I can do? Water was spraying out before I put the new seal in... Thanks!

Question Re: New user - pump seal question

Quote Originally Posted by snorton View Post
    Well I polished up the shaft before I installed the first time around. There is some metal flaking off the shaft though that concerns me. It was rusty, and I dremeled it with a metal polisher until it cleaned up. I figured the shaft was enclosed inside of the impeller shaft so any flaking wouldn't damage the seal. The leak happens about 1 drop every 30 seconds when the pump is off. When the pump turns on the frequency of the drips increases to about 1 drop every couple of seconds (maybe 5 seconds). It's kind of a pain to drain the hot tub, and then pull the pump just to readjust the current seal that is brand new and see the same leak. I figured another 15$ for a new seal would be worth it just to be sure the second time around its done right. If the shaft flaking is an issue then does that mean that this pump is just about shot and a drip is about the best I can do? Water was spraying out before I put the new seal in... Thanks!
    When you replaced the seal, did you only replace the volute seal on the wet head body or did you replace the shaft impeller seal as well?

It's very important to be careful while replacing the shaft impeller seal because they come in two parts and have a specific installation orientation such that the two ceramic surfaces face each other. It is also critical not to touch or damage the new ceramic surface because that is the actual "sealing surface" and so any debris can mess it up. If the motor shaft is corroded and flaking (is it rust or was the motor shaft chrome or nickel plated and that metal coating is flaking?), then that could easily screw up the shaft seal. If the motor shaft is really a mess, then you might consider a motor replacement if it makes sense dollar-wise...a completely new pump, sad to say, might actually cost you less in terms of money spent and time fiddling with it...

Sorry for the thought-spew, just asking lots of questions in order to be helpful
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

I'm guessing by volute seal you are talking about the O-ring. Yes I replaced that, the wear ring, and the shaft impeller seal. I went ahead and pulled the motor out again. I took it all apart and made extra sure to not let a flake of dust on the seal. They were lined up correctly ceramic to ceramic both times. This time around it seems like it is almost bone dry. I'm going to just let it run like that. I did see a drop or two of water on the wood under the pump, but I'm just not going to worry. I'll check it in a few months and see if it has gotten better or worse. Worst case scenario would be trying to replace the seal one more time and then the entire motor if needed. I can live with it how it is though.

+ Reply to Thread