+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Goodnight Pool

Default Goodnight Pool

Good night, summer. Good night, pool.
    Good night, kids are back at school.
    Good night, slide and diving board.
    Good night, equipment, all is stored.
    Good night, drops kit. Good night, bleach.
    Good night, FC goal to reach.
    Good night, floaties. Good night, toys.
    Good night, warmth in Illinois!
    Good night, peaceful summer eves.
    Good night, skimmer full of leaves.
    Good night, beer beneath the moon.
    Good night, summer. Come back soon!!!

Last shot before closing sorry it's fuzzy
    Thank you to Ben, Lisa, Carl, Dave, and Richard for an outstanding season. You are the best!!!

26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Goodnight Pool

Lovely. My eyes are all wet.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I think we can all relate to your sentiments.

I have a huge maple tree right beside my pool and the chore these days is fishing leaves out of the pool. Thank goodness for a pool rake and my Polaris 65. I don't cover and continue chlorinating until we start to have freezing night time temps. Most years, that is sometime in November. At that point, the equipment is unhooked and the water level dropped some. Then, I wistfully look at my pool. About February, I start getting itchy to open it back up!

Glad you had a good season.

(I wonder how many people who read your post will know the book you based it on?)

Closing the pool...what's that???

Actually, I was just thinking the other day I kind of wish I could close my pool as it would take one thing off the daily To Do list. Problem here is that the pool water is only cold enough for closing for maybe two or three months (Dec-Feb) and even then we can get some warm days. So even if one did "close" the pool, an algae bloom would be a near certainty.

I wonder if those of you that go through the Open/Close ritual ever wish you could just let the pool run all year round?

Great picture by the way and I love the riff on "Good Night, Moon" (a book my kids all loved)!!!
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Here here and amen. Before this year I would have said such sentiment about closing a pool was silly, but now I totally understand. Putting up my pool this year was one of the best things I have done in a long time for my family and friends. I am totally going to miss it and would love to have it open year round if I could, SunnyOptimism.

I also want to thank all the mods, so greatful I found this forum early this spring. All your wisdom saved me a ton of work. I did so much research before I put up my pool that I was actually disappointed that it was so easy to take care of, like "this is it?". Is that nuts or what. After using dichlor granules to get my CYA up, I only used bleach for the rest of the summer, 2 cups a night, sometimes less. The K2006 was awesome, loved playing chemist once a week but it provided peace of mind.

I will also admit that I check this forum everyday for more tidbits of unlearned info, and I am rarely unsatisfied.

I covered my pool last weekend but will continue to run the pump and add bleach as needed until close to freezing temps. Will see how this goes, may not cover next year. I will be looking at solar heating for next spring so I can get a little more swim time out of it. Will be adding some fun stuff, some lighting, speakers for music and maybe a volleyball net!

Is it spring yet?

Anyway, I have been lurking for too long and will subscribe as soon as I can (not a good idea at work). Good night, pool!

Goodnight, pool
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread