+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sand or Cartridge Filter for New Pool

Hybrid View

Default Sand or Cartridge Filter for New Pool

Hi All,

We're about to sign on the dotted line for a new inground pool. The builder has offered a choice of either a sand or cartridge filter. In our first pool, we had a cartridge. Water was very clear but it was somewhat of a pain to clean.

Have never dealt with a sand filter. Anyone out there have experience with both? Is it true the water clarity isn't as good? I like the simplicity of sand but just not sure. Can anyone tell me about backwashing? How often you backwash and for how long? Is there sand "maintenance"? Replacement?

Thanks for any input. Can't wait for Spring!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Sand or Cartridge Filter for New Pool

I had a cart for 3 years in an Intex donut, then a sand filter in my current pool for the last 12 years.
    Sand filters are probably the easiest filters to maintain.
    First, your sand filter should have a noticeably greater capacity than the pump. I have a 200 lb sand filter and a 1HP Hayward SuperPump and the filter is barely adequate. A 250# filter would have been better. Luckily, I have a 2 speed version of the pump and it works better on low speed. (get a 2 speed or VS pump). The slower your flow rate, the better the filter works.
    Second, TECHNICALLY, a sand filter doesn't have as fine a filtering as either DE or a cart filter. But that can easily and CHEAPLY compensated for by using skimmer socks and adding a little DE (like 1/3 cup) to your filter after you backwash. Less than $10 worth of DE powder has lasted me over 3 years now...and $10 of skimmer socks should see you through a season. Both help your sand filter do its job.
    Third, you backwash when your pump pressure increases by about 5psi. If you pre-plumb it into a drain, you merely turn the pump off, swing the multi-valve lever to backwash and run it till the water in the sight glass runs clear. Then turn it back to filter. Simple. Usually takes less than 5 minutes every few weeks.
    Fourth, unless you add something really bad to your pool (nothing WE would suggest), you NEVER have to change the sand in your filter. As the sand gets older and "dirtier", it actually filters BETTER than new sand. It's because the wear and the locked-in dirt REDUCES the size of the spaces in the sand, catching more stuff.

My water is crystal clear, and so is that of most of our sand filter owners. Old sand, DE, big enough filter for the pump, skimmer socks and you'll get GREAT performance!
    Carl

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I'm with CarlD on this - I love my sand filter. That said, there are fans of Carts and DE here as well. The most important thing is to size the filter to the pump - the next size bigger filter and the next size smaller pump than commonly suggested is a good start.

One thing to add to CarlD's post is a rinse between backwash and returning to filter will prevent a plume of dirty water returning to the pool.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Thanks Watermom. Out of curiosity, do you add DE into your filter also? Does everyone? What does that do to the warranty of the filter? Do I dare tell my builder?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

1) You don't have to use DE
    2) You only use a little bit, just enough to raise PSI 1lb.That usually means 1/4 to 3/4 of a cup.
    3) DE shouldn't hurt your grass, but it will kill many kinds of bugs.
    4) It won't affect your pool's warranty, but may affect the filter warranty, but shouldn't as it won't damage the filter.
    5) I would not tell the builder. Not his business.
    Carl

Thanks BigDave. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "rinse"? Is there a "rinse" position on the valve?

Thanks CarlD. I don't think we'll be able to backwash to a drain but it's something I'll inquire about. That would be the best setup IMO. However, if I'm backwashing onto grass/shrubs or trees, will DE hurt them? I'm assuming some of it comes out during the backwashing.

Found the skimmer socks and they are pretty cheap as you mentioned. Does one size fit all baskets? How often do you change yours?

+ Reply to Thread