+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Closing chemistry recommendation

Default Re: Closing chemistry recommendation

Last I saw was that your CYA was around 40 but were thinking about raising it. Did you? The number on the far RIGHT of the chart are only for mustard algae; extreme cases.
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 11-03-2014 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Oops! Other left!!!!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Thumbs up Re: Closing chemistry recommendation

Yesterday 10:12 PMCarlD
    Re: Closing chemistry recommendation

No. Use the lower value, I believe the left of the 2 columns. I do not recommend you closing your pool until any algae bloom is clear. Then raise to the lower shock level.
    If your CYA level is below 10, use 10 as your shock level
    Below 30, use 12.
    Below 60, use 15,
    Below 100, use 20,
    100 or above, use 25.
    Thank you, Carl. That's exactly what I needed. Leaves are still falling off of the trees here, and the temps are occasionally dipping below freezing at night. I'm not using a cover this winter. Too expensive just to have the wind rip it to shreds by the end of closing season. Nobody makes a cover that fits, or is meant to stay on, an AG vinyl sided Intex pool (that I can find) anyway.

I truly appreciate your quick response.
    Above ground Intex round 24' x 52", 13,600 gallons, Hayward VL Series sand filter and pump, Missouri resident

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    Last I saw was that your CYA was around 40 but were thinking about raising it. Did you? The number on the far RIGHT of the chart are only for mustard algae; extreme cases.
    My CYA did raise, but it wasn't necessarily intentional. I began using Dichlor from Sam's in lieu of bleach. My CYA kept raising. I went back to bleach once it reached 70. Didn't want it to get any higher. So it stands at 70 as of today. I had a hard time keeping my pH down this summer. ??? Anyway, it's good at 7.9 now. TA=80. CC=0. Water temp is 45*.

Thanks for letting me know what the high shock level is used for.
    Above ground Intex round 24' x 52", 13,600 gallons, Hayward VL Series sand filter and pump, Missouri resident

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Dichlor, it also increases the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 9 ppm.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

Kinda makes you wonder why more people don't use dichlor to raise CYA instead of the slow-dissolving sock treatment!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Kinda makes you wonder why more people don't use dichlor to raise CYA instead of the slow-dissolving sock treatment!
    One advantage of using the straight CYA instead of dichlor is that is easier to know right off the bat the dose needed to get to a desired CYA level.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    One advantage of using the straight CYA instead of dichlor is that is easier to know right off the bat the dose needed to get to a desired CYA level.
    +1

I'm one of those who prefer to use straight CYA.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

I have never used it. This was my first year even having CYA and I used dichlor. It was very easy. Straight CYA just sounds like a pain... Squeezing a dangling sock, waiting around a week to verify results. Hmmm.

I have never used it. This was my first year even having CYA and I used dichlor. It was very easy. Straight CYA just sounds like a pain... Squeezing a dangling sock, waiting around a week to verify results. Hmmm.
    I don't use the sock method. Also doesn't take a week to verify results. At least that's been my experience with my pool.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

+ Reply to Thread