Thread: Swollen Pool Pipes on Water Feature Side

Default Swollen Pool Pipes on Water Feature Side

I'm a newbie here and am trying desperately to learn about pools. My wife and I purchased a home back in March 2014. I noticed some water leakage from around the pump feeding our water feature several months back. I then noticed that the pipes connected on that side were all swollen. This could have been this way before, but I honestly never paid attention to it since we utilize a local pool company. At any rate the warranty company denied the claim saying it wasn't due to normal wear and tear. The equipment is on a timer and we have a pool service that maintains our pool. At any rate, I've been quoted prices to replumb from 2XX to 4XX. Can someone with experience let me know what could have caused this. One gentlemen said ice and the other stated the breakdown was due to a lack of flowing water through the pipe, causing it to run dry, overheat, and expand.

At any rate, the more expensive bid requires the following work ..... Service - Flat Rate

Replumbing of front manifold with jandy valves and tristar union - $4XX

Is this reasonable and what if anything do I need to do to make sure this doesn't happen again. We live and Dallas and just bought the house in March so it definitely wasn't due to freezing. I guess this could have been missed in our pool inspection? At any rate, thanks for your help.

I have attached a Dropbox link with pictures of what I'm facing!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m72xavzyz...wkSYS8Maa?dl=0

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Swollen Pool Pipes on Water Feature Side

It's either ice or a blockage. Never seen PVC swell like that. Fixing/replacing the damaged PVC is no big deal--a cut-and-glue job. The question is what caused it. You only list the US as your location. If you're' in Florida, it's a blockage. If you're in Maine, it could well be ice and you should be draining your system in the winter.
    Carl