+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AG Pool Closing with High CYA

Default Re: AG Pool Closing with High CYA

Perfect! Yea, sometimes things get combobbled on threads. Good luck!

A piece of advice, open early. When you think the water temperature may be close to 60 degrees, open. Take a full set of readings and post them. We will especially want to see your new CYA reading.

You are not a subscriber, so unless you update that, you may have to wait for an answer on recommendations. If so, raise your FC right away and use your best judgement on the rest. Better yet, become a subscriber! You can go to the settings tab, then my account, then subscriptions. A minimum of 14 bucks gets you priority attention.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Okay, I opened the pool yesterday. Here are the readings:

FC: 3.2 ppm
    CC: 0 ppm
    pH: 7.8
    TA: 120 ppm
    CH: 60 ppm
    CYA: 45 ppm

The CYA is down mostly to the fact that I had about a 50% water loss over the winter (heavy snow & ice load) and replaced with tap water.
    Sharkline Escalade RTR 24' x 54" Round AGP; OptiFlo 2-speed pump; Pentair PLM-100 Cartridge Filter; Hayward 250FDN Heater; Taylor K-2006; AquaIlluminator Return

How does the water look?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

It looks crystal clear! No signs of algae or anything.
    Sharkline Escalade RTR 24' x 54" Round AGP; OptiFlo 2-speed pump; Pentair PLM-100 Cartridge Filter; Hayward 250FDN Heater; Taylor K-2006; AquaIlluminator Return

Excellent. May I assume you raised that FC to the high-end of your FC/CYA ratio? Like about 6?
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 05-25-2015 at 11:29 PM.

I haven't added anything to the pool since opening. I was going to let the filter run for a couple of days, which it has now. As soon as I buy some bleach, I'll raise the FC, but should I raise it to shock levels (15) or max (6) or something else?

BTW, thank you for all your help!

Well, see what your levels are. If FC is within your range for your CYA, you have CC<0.5, and your water is clear, you can just go with your maintenance range. Some people on opening like to do a test overnight to see if they lose FC.

We are all happy to help!

I just checked Chlorine and pH again and I did lose a little FC = 2.4 ppm; CC = 0; pH = 7.6. Even though the test tube stays clear after adding the CC reactant, I notice the faintest of "pool smell." There is a lot of tree debris falling in the pool and clogging the filter.

Lordy. I answered the wrong person! Yikes! Sorry about that!

You still might want to do the overnight test to make sure!

+ Reply to Thread