+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Conflicting test results...........

Default Conflicting test results...........

I tested my water today and the Taylor K-2006 gave me a reading of 6.2 for FC free chlorine.
    I have an old cheapie 5 bottle test kit and also a new 5 bottle kit that i use on a regular basis.
    The old kit gives me a reading of about 4 and no way a 5 reading which is their max reading.
    the new kit gives me the same results, barely a 4, and no way a 5.
    So I'm not believing the K-2006 kit. The 2 scoops of powder I use level scoops, and I tried that test a few times and got the same 31 to 32 drops which x .2 gives me the 6.2
    Attached Images
    Last edited by pmaru77; 10-09-2014 at 03:58 PM.
    plaster 20k gal kidney shaped swimming pool with spa Hayward Vac, Nautilus DE filter, Raypak RP2100 gas heater.

Default Re: Conflicting test results...........

The Taylor test reagents are the most accurate test chemicals on the market. The FC test is based on a drop-wise titration endpoint as opposed to others that use simple colorimetric matching. The color matching tests are much more error prone. The OTO ( yellow) test I have doesn't differentiate colors very well above 3ppm and only goes deep orange when my FC is above 8ppm. Taylor drops tell me my FC exactly to within 0.2ppm.

Long story short - toss out the cheapo test kits and use the Taylor results as authoritative.
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Use a 10mL sample instead of a 25mL one with the K2006 and it will save on your testing reagents. You will multiply the drop count by 0.5 instead of 0.2. Also, if one scoop of powder turns the sample pink, no need to put in the second one.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Frankly, the only OTO/pHenol kit I trust is Taylor one, but the K-2006 FAS-DPD test for Free Chlorine and Combined Chloramines is the gold standard. It is simply the most accurate and reliable test a home-owner can buy.
    Carl

If the K-2006 is the gold standard, then why do they not specify that the scoop of powder should be flat)level) or heaping? Or does it not matter?
    plaster 20k gal kidney shaped swimming pool with spa Hayward Vac, Nautilus DE filter, Raypak RP2100 gas heater.

It does not matter. The powder is simply the indicator dye that you are saturating the solution with to bind to the FC and cause the pink color change. The titrating reagent is the exact solution that then neutralizes the FC and turns the solution from pink to clear. So the only thing that matters is having a known titrating reagent concentration to set the ppm/drops value.

If you look at the scoop handle, it is printed with 0.05gm. So two level scoops adds approximately 0.1gm of DPD powder which is more than enough to react with all of the FC in your test sample.
    Last edited by SunnyOptimism; 10-12-2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Additional info and corrections
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

We usually say that if 1/2 scoop turns the water pink, then that's enough.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    Some time ago I read that one scoop was sufficient if it turned the sample pink. Out of curiosity I compared using one scoop vs two (as recommended in the Taylor instructions); both turned the sample pink and both resulted in the same FC measurement.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yup. That's what we have been telling you all for years.
    Carl

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    The main reason to use one level scoop for a 10 ml sample and a heaping scoop or possibly two level scoops for a 25 ml sample is to have a stronger color transition at the end of the titration. With too few scoops, you may undercount but probably by only one drop which is usually not a big deal.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread