Thread: Soils issue

Default Soils issue

I work for a landscape architecture firm, I am looking for more information and solutions to possible soil issues. We have designed a pool and had a pool company build it for us. Our issue is when the pool company went to dig, the soil started slushing and is not staying put.

My first question is as a pool company, isn't it usually mandatory to get a soils test?

Secondly, the pool company is having an engineer look at it and he is saying to put beams on the whole bottom of the pool. Will this weigh the pool down and cause it to crack?

Thirdly, I have read that when dealing with sink holes that it is common practice to fill the hole up with gravel or compact fill. Would it be more beneficial to bring in engineered dirt than pouring the beams?

Thanks and look forward to your responses.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Soils issue

Above my "pay grade"! But my pool has a built up foundation filled with QP.
    Carl

What is QP?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

"Quarry Product"--basically unwashed, dirty crushed stone. It has great drainage and friction properties, better than crushed stone so it stays where you put it, and is cheaper as well.

What I did was search out an independent engineer and found one who specialized in road building. He was super-knowledgeable about all the things you are asking about and a great guy.

The $600/$700 I paid him was cheap at twice the price!
    Carl

Wonderful, Thank you for the advice. Do you know where or who I could email to be able to search for other soil issues similar to mine?

That...I cannot tell you as I don't know. I did mine over the 2002/2003 winter, up here and NJ, and, sadly, the engineer I used passed away last December. Nice man, and talented, tood.
    Carl