+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Salt Water Stain Removal

Default Re: Salt Water Stain Removal

SWCG Cell OK? CHECK!

Salt is pool-grade (no additives)? CHECK!

Fill water? Jury still out....

As for bucket tests, those really won't work so well in my case. I have high CH from being in the Southwest (CH ~ 500ppm), so the only thing that would scale out in a bucket for me is huge amounts of calcium. But that does bring to mind another problem which may not be a big deal for your vinyl pool - sequestrant interference. It is well published on the Taylor website and in other forums that the calcium hardness test, which uses EDTA drop-wise to chelate the calcium ions and cause the indicator dye to change colors can be interfered with by the presence of a sequestrant in the water. Now this all depends highly on the chemical affinity of the sequestrant you use versus EDTA for the Ca ions but it is possible to slow down or arrest the color change of the CH indicator dye. SO it makes me wonder in high CH pools if Jack's Magic goop (HEDP mostly) would even work all that well considering the sequestrant will go after the Ca ions just as easily as any metal ions.

What's your calcium hardness? I know you operate a vinyl pool and probably don't test for it very often, so an old number is OK.

As for Jack's Pink versus Purple, etc...if it's all HEDP and just different concentrations in the bottle, then I don't see why it would matter at all if you have a salt water pool or not. I think I read somewhere on here once that it is indeed just marketing, so you can probably ignore it and just buy the color of Jack's Magic potion that works best for your water.

I think someday I'd like to modify an exercise bike to run a small water pump and then hook an inline filter up with those Culator bags and use the energy produced by my much needed workout sessions to help filter my pool water....beats paying the electric company I suppose
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

Before discovering this site, I use to maintain CH at about 250-300 by adding calcium flakes and/or cal-hypo if I was shocking the pool. Since I always had to add calcium to keep it at the desired levels, I assume that my fill water isn't adding a significant amount. It's been about 3 years since I've added any calcium. Last season I checked the CH level and it was about 200.

The Purple Stuff works very well preventing stains in my pool . I usually only have to add half the recommended weekly maintenance dose to remain stain free. I'm thinking with the higher concentration Pink Stuff I could probably use even less.

I will be closing the pool pretty soon, so trying the Pink Stuff will have to wait until next season (I can't believe the season is ending already! ).

Hmmm...maybe I can attach CuLator bags to my swimsuit and remove metals while swimming.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Quote Originally Posted by JimK View Post

I will be closing the pool pretty soon, so trying the Pink Stuff will have to wait until next season (I can't believe the season is ending already! ).
    Closing.....what does the mean.....
    16k gal IG gunite PebbleTec (Caribbean Blue), 18' x 36' free form with raised spa/spillway and separate rock waterfall. All Pentair Equipment pad - 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr heater, QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, IntelliTouch/EasyTouch Controls

Sure, rub it in.....
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean View Post
    The Jack's Magic line of products are stain preventatives. I think you need to look at Sequestering agents, or metal removers, instead of preventative solutions. Getting it out of the water would be better than keeping it suspended, but still there.
    Sean, do you know of any products that do actually remove metal from the water, besides CuLator? Alum (aluminum sulfate) can potentially remove metals, but it's a trick and somewhat unpredictable process that can also make a big mess.

+ Reply to Thread