+ Reply to Thread

Thread: As the First Season Comes to a Close

Smile As the First Season Comes to a Close

As of yesterday my first season is officially ended. It was a warm, sunny day, so I put on my swimsuit and thoroughly cleaned the pool (Intex Easy Set, 15 x 36) and had a last swim while the pool drained. After my initial challenge of filtering out heavy iron, the water remained clear and within recommended parameters all season using one half cup of bleach daily, a weekly small dose of algaecide, and an occasional dose of 20 Mule Team Borax.

The pre-owned Intex served its purpose and was well worth the $60 I paid for it with all accessories included. It was the perfect size and depth for my three year old twin grandsons, and their mom and I enjoyed it as well. (Even hubby was in it twice.) Most of my time in the pool actually consisted of maintaining it. All vacuuming and manual brushing, skimming, etc. was done while I was in the water, which kept me cool and non-bored. I was in it probably five days a week for two to four hours a day, so it def got used and kept clean.

I learned so much from this little pool and Pool Solutions. I learned how to set up, clean, maintain chemistry, detect and repair leaks, how to live with and work around the "mickey mouse" equipment that is ez set. I made a few mistakes and minorly damaged a couple of things, but it is all valuable knowledge and experience.

Since this pool was intended allow me to "get my feet wet" in pool ownership, I planned to leave it up all winter. However, last weekend I accepted an offer that I couldn't refuse (free for taking down and hauling away!) on a 5 yr old AG 18' x 52", with a nice sand filter, Hayward pump, new skimmer, one year old liner, all accessories included. So, in order to get started this fall, vs. next spring, I cleared the site of the starter pool. So, add to my knowledge base how to disassemble an EZ Set and a standard AG pool.

The challenges ahead include increasing the size of the leveled site. The slope is over one inch per foot, so going from a 15' to an 18' will require substantial digging. Not looking forward to that, having dug the first site myself by hand over a period of about three weeks, but at least I'll be doing it in crisp autumn weather instead of summer heat and humidity. Additional costs of the new pool (things I didn't bother with the first time around) will include a setback variance application and various P&Z permits. The heavy duty outdoor extension cord run from the garage will no longer do; I'll have to hire an electrician for proper wiring. Sand for the base. Larger amounts of chemicals. Increased electric bill. Possibly a new liner if this one shrinks too much. A proper fence (the sidewalls are 52" but it will be installed partially in the ground, putting it below the required 48"). No doubt there will be other expenses that I haven't thought of yet. Anyone? Oh yes, a winter cover, pea gravel, new swimsuit...
    Intex Easy Set 15x36, purchased used 2014.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: As the First Season Comes to a Close

I hope the two to four hours a day were MOSTLY spent enjoying and not maintaining!

A new loner may be in order but you won't need a winter cover this year.
    Carl

Absolutely enjoyed it! You are right in that I won't need a winter cover this year. What is a loner?
    Intex Easy Set 15x36, purchased used 2014.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by hollyp53 View Post
    Absolutely enjoyed it! You are right in that I won't need a winter cover this year. What is a loner?
    A liner with a typo! :facepalm:
    Carl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Watermom's right (of course). If I we're attempting such an install, I'd dig a couple feet into the hill past necessary then dig a little trench all around where the ground's higher than the pool, line the trench and dug out face with landscape fabric and maybe install drain tile to divert the water away from the pool. Backfill with stone as the pool fills. Or maybe a retaining wall - more digging and hauling / lifting.
    Good luck
    P.S. Glad to hear you worked through your first year with the "Gateway" pool. I was hooked by a little donut that was $70 new at a toy store.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

+ Reply to Thread