Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: HELP - leak maybe? advice

xoroniox is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst xoroniox 0

UPDATE! found the leak and some cracks in the top of the skimmer housing, i used phenol red and a long thin piece of clear fish tank pvc air tube to get some red dye in there and watch the water drain, it was a small crack and hole and now i see why so much water was leaking and it was at the top of the skimmer housing where the skimmer white pvc housing meets the tile/concrete diamondbrite pool shell, thank you to everyone for their help and advice

I am going to my local pool store to find some epoxy or something to fill and seal the leak. any advice on what to use and where to get it? (home depot?) i will be fixing this late tonight or tomorrow, thanks agian

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Dye

For anyone following this thread I'll say it here and probably more times later. Go get some beets at the grocery store, chop them up, boil, make a lot of red dye, then eat the beets. Gives you a lot of dye and good food to boot. Cheaper then phenol red or other dyes.
    Al

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Al, Good advice I'm sure, except for eating the beets; those things are disgusting.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Fix cracked skimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by xoroniox
    UPDATE! found the leak and some cracks in the top of the skimmer housing, i used phenol red and a long thin piece of clear fish tank pvc air tube to get some red dye in there and watch the water drain, it was a small crack and hole and now i see why so much water was leaking and it was at the top of the skimmer housing where the skimmer white pvc housing meets the tile/concrete diamondbrite pool shell, thank you to everyone for their help and advice

I am going to my local pool store to find some epoxy or something to fill and seal the leak. any advice on what to use and where to get it? (home depot?) i will be fixing this late tonight or tomorrow, thanks agian
    What you're looking for is some waterproof 2 part epoxy, mix equal parts of 2 compounds - the resin and the hardener. Depending upon how visible the repair will be ( visable by pool users) and how estheticly pleasing you want the patch to be you have a couple of options. Pool stores often carry a product that cures white, which is often prefered for visable pool usage, however plumbing and hardware stores sell products that seem to be a little more durable and easier to use (they come in one tube, or stick), however they seem to come in shades of gray. I'm sure either product will perform as you need.
    Hope this repair solves the problem!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Closed Thread