+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cover Options and Cover Types

Default Re: Cover Options and Cover Types

Great discussion about to cover or not to cover. But, if I DO cover, I'd still like some feedback on my proposed methods of covering. Has anyone else used (or heard about) the PVC frame method? If so, what are you thoughts?
    Steve Romo (6700g AG, Cartridge Filter)

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Not heard of the PVC frame method, but if snow builds up on it and turns to ice it could collapse, I'd think. Remember: 1 cubic <foot--sorry> YARD of water weighs about 1750 lbs--7/8 of a ton!
    Last edited by CarlD; 09-26-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    Not heard of the PVC frame method, but if snow builds up on it and turns to ice it could collapse, I'd think. Remember: 1 cubic foot of water weighs about 1750 lbs--7/8 of a ton!
    Actually, 1 cubic foot weighs 62.3 pounds.

http://www.ask.com/science/much-cubi...1656c2efc1f7c8

Sorry. I typed "foot", meant "yard" and there are 27 cubic feet in a cubic yard.

(BTW, the 62.3lbs is for distilled water, not water loaded with chlorine, calcium, salt, etc, which is closer to 65lbs)
    Last edited by CarlD; 09-26-2014 at 11:03 AM.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

I am not sure you could safely build a "tent" to avoid puddling without endangering your liner. I suppose you could go nuts and buy enough pillows to fill the entire surface of your pool, and as long as they were taller than the pool side you would get some drainage. However, once again snow would not drain off, and any dips or valleys in your cover between pillows would suffer a lot of pressure and potential damage. The point of the "pillow in the middle" with slack in the cover is so that the cover is always supported from underneath by the water/ice or the pillow, and its not pulling too much on the pool sides. Puddling may just be an unavoidable consequence.

We cover our pool every year with the loop loc cover..It keeps the neighbors leaves out of it and we tend to get a lot of wind. It stays reasonably clean, we add our chemicals if needed through the skimmer usually just the chlorine tabs. We do chemical it before covering for the season. We run the pool 5-6 hours every day/night we switch to night time for the cold, we have an intelliflo variable speed pump.. The only problem we have is trying to set the pump from summer to winter time, we find that very confusing we got this pump last year.... We remove the cover in the spring before we turn on our solar heater for the season, usually in April sometime and we change the water every three to fours years ..We really like our cover it does save a lot when getting ready to open for the season..We live in Las Vegas

+ Reply to Thread