+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: pool balance before closing?

Default Re: pool balance before closing?

Bio-gard 3" basic chlorine tabs (99% trichloro-s-triazinetrione) 90% available chlorine, Bleach, Borax, Baking soda and muriatic acid is what I have on hand.
    Last edited by FNC1962; 10-01-2014 at 06:41 AM. Reason: more info
    17k gal 16' x 32' IG concrete bottom FG sides 1985 , Hayward Pro S244T sand filter , Hayward Super pump 1 HP 12 - 24 hrs , using 8.25% bleach, K-2006C kit. PF=7

Sorry, one more question. What is your CH and what is your goal? Your fill tested at 150 so you may need some cal-hypo to add calcium as well as chlorine.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    Sorry, one more question. What is your CH and what is your goal? Your fill tested at 150 so you may need some cal-hypo to add calcium as well as chlorine.
    Is the CH likely to change? I will check it again this evening. As far as my goal, I want to balance pool chemistry so it can be closed until the spring time. I have hired the local pool store to do the actual closing. I believe they shock the pool and add algaecide, clear and plug the skimmer, returns etc. and put on the security cover. This is my first closing of this pool as we purchased this home in December of 2013. After it is closed, I wasn't planning on touching it again until it is re-opened in the Spring unless I need to.
    I would like to know what I need to add, to bring the pool into balance before the closing. Thanks again!
    17k gal 16' x 32' IG concrete bottom FG sides 1985 , Hayward Pro S244T sand filter , Hayward Super pump 1 HP 12 - 24 hrs , using 8.25% bleach, K-2006C kit. PF=7

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I'm not really up on this thread but under no circumstances let the pool store add ANY algaecide other than Polyquat 60%!

If it says "poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride] 60%" and no other active ingredients, that's the stuff, regardless of the brand or what they label it (Black algaecide, Mustard algaecide, Algae Prevent 60, etc).
    ANYTHING ELSE IS LIKELY TO MESS UP YOUR POOL!

Unless they measure the stabilizer (CYA--Cyanuric Acid) level, shocking the pool is probably not going to be effective, because the CORRECT shock level is determined by the stabilizer level:
    See our Best Guess table:
    http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best...ine-chart.html

Here's how I close:
    1) Get all test levels to ideal levels
    2) Vacuum, brush and backwash to keep it as clean as possible.
    3) Turn off all heaters, remove solar cover. Let water chill down to 60deg F
    4) Add bleach to raise chlorine level to proper shock level
    5) Add 1 quart of Polyquat 60%
    6) Wait 48 hours (run pump 24/7) Chlorine level will drop precipitously. This is normal.
    7) Add bleach again to shock level.
    8) Turn off pump and physically close the pool. (blow out and plug lines, add non-toxic antifreeze to lines as needed, drain filter, drain pump, remove and store pump if possible, etc)
    Carl

New numbers, FC 4.5, cc 0, pH 7.1, TA 90,CH 160, CYA<30.
    I have only used tablets so far. I am going to use Borax and Baking Soda. Would like to know how much I need to add. Is Cal-hypo a powder? How much do I need to add to bring to a safe level? How do I add it? Anything else? I will check on poly quat 60. Thanks

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You don't need baking soda. TA of 90 is fine. To bring your pH up, use some Borax. Start with about a fourth of the box added slowly to the skimmer while the pump is running, breaking up any clumps. Wait a few hours and redose until your pH is where you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Test your FILL water (pH, TA, CH only) and post those results. I can then calculate doses -- once your pool is full -- to bring you into a safe range for winter.
    Okay, we have fill results and current pool water results. I am still thinking that with a new finish that you may need to raise that CH of 160 up to >200. Anyone agree?
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 10-02-2014 at 08:50 PM.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.

Assuming: 17k gal, pH: 7.1, TA: 90, CH: 160, CYA: ~20. Location in KY, with moderately cold winter (sub-zero possible, but not likely).

One open question: is the "security cover" mesh or opaque?

Comments:

Your current water is unlikely to scale, but could possibly damage the concrete bottom. However, adding lots of calcium will increase the chance of algae-aided calcium deposits. So . . .

1. Raise your borax to 60 ppm -- 11 boxes of borax. Do NOT add acid at this time. Borax will significantly reduce the chance of algae forming under the cover, and will make it easier to kill the algae if it does form.

2. Target a pH level of 7.8 - 8.0. This will reduce any corrosion of the concrete to vanishingly small levels. The borax addition may be sufficient to raise the pH, or you may go a bit high. But WAIT till it's fully dissolved before attempting to adjust the pH either way.

3. If you are not using the pool, go ahead and install the cover now. If it's a solid cover, leave a corner uncovered so chlorination byproduct gases do not accumulate.

4. Use bleach to raise the chlorine levels UNDER the cover, and eradicate any remaining algae.

5. Test chlorine & pH, but don't bother with other tests until the pH is back in range.

6. Report back once the borax is up, the cover is on, the pH tested, and the algae is gone.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

FBU -- I have already asked him to look at it when he has time.

Back on track:
    Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.

Assuming: 17k gal, pH: 7.1, TA: 90, CH: 160, CYA: ~20. Location in KY, with moderately cold winter (sub-zero possible, but not likely).

One open question: is the "security cover" mesh or opaque?

Comments:

Your current water is unlikely to scale, but could possibly damage the concrete bottom. However, adding lots of calcium will increase the chance of algae-aided calcium deposits. So . . .

1. Raise your borax to 60 ppm -- 11 boxes of borax. Do NOT add acid at this time. Borax will significantly reduce the chance of algae forming under the cover, and will make it easier to kill the algae if it does form.

2. Target a pH level of 7.8 - 8.0. This will reduce any corrosion of the concrete to vanishingly small levels. The borax addition may be sufficient to raise the pH, or you may go a bit high. But WAIT till it's fully dissolved before attempting to adjust the pH either way.

3. If you are not using the pool, go ahead and install the cover now. If it's a solid cover, leave a corner uncovered so chlorination byproduct gases do not accumulate.

4. Use bleach to raise the chlorine levels UNDER the cover, and eradicate any remaining algae.

5. Test chlorine & pH, but don't bother with other tests until the pH is back in range.

6. Report back once the borax is up, the cover is on, the pH tested, and the algae is gone.

+ Reply to Thread