+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CYA question

Cool CYA question

Please rescore my registration. Pool chart done, liked on FB (don't use twitter), posted.

Thanks for all your help with my alkalinity woes. That problem is corrected and the pool looks awesome! I will start next summer's pool season with a MUCH better sense of what to be doing with the pool, and hope to avoid getting the chemistry so far off ever again. I am working with a Taylor K2003 kit right now, but plan to order the 2006 kit for next year.

I also have a question about CYA. I have a Tri-chlor feeder which I used for the past year since the pool was installed, about 22 weeks open. I used an average of 1-2 pucks per week during that time. The CYA level is now at 40 which is perfect from what I have read.

I realize there is no way to remove CYA, but does it degrade or leave the pool gradually? If I switch to bleach exclusively, will I see a drop in CYA over time and end up needing to add CYA? I am trying to figure out if my Tri-chlor feeder will ever need to be used again. I don't want to buy another bucket of Tri-chlor pucks if they will never get used.

Thoughts?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: CYA question

K-2003? There is no such kit. If you mean K-2005, then rather than buying a new kit, buy the K-1515 FAS-DPD single test as an add-on and you will have everything in the K-2006 kit, plus a (useless) DPD test.
    Carl

Sorry my mistake, what I have is the Taylor K-1003. All it does is pH, chlorine (OTO drops), Alk, acid demand and base demand. All I am using it for is the pH, chlorine and alk.

With regard to the other question, will the CYA trend down over time? I have an autocover so I don't add replacement water much to compensate for evaporation. Something tells me I will not be using much Tri-chlor going forward because I do not want to let my CYA get over 50.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Although you may lose a little CYA sometimes due to splash out and refill, for the most part, the answer is no. But, some pools lose all of their CYA over the winter. No way to tell which pools will do this. If it does happen, it is due to the CYA biodegrading. The result is some nasty byproducts, namely ammonia, that cause a huge chlorine demand upon opening to clear up.

So glad you are going to get the K2006! You will be very happy you did!

I also have an auto-cover and try to only add water when we get rain. I have a tub of dichlor which adds CYA when I need it. The CYA seems to show up in tests pretty quick and I really like it for that reason. If it were me, I wouldn't invest in more Tri-Chlor at this point. Some people use it when they go on vacation or for start-up should their CYA be low then. DiChlor and bleach has worked for me. Never used Tri-Chlor.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread